Where to get Insert Boxes for aft on the 265 Express?

SlimJim

Reaction score
Ok, So my boat came without the back two box inserts that hang over the batterys on both sides. I called Grady and they gave me the part numbers for them of Port-11-254 and Stb- 11-255. They told me to call some GW Dealers, when I did I was shocked :shock: at the cost of them, $256 dollars PER BOX!! Anyone have any ideas on where I can get them cheaper or have any they can sell me?? THX! :shock: :lol:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady has you over the gunnels!

Find out who makes them for Grady. I would expect a big discount.

SlimJim

Reaction score
BobP said:
Grady has you over the gunnels!

Find out who makes them for Grady. I would expect a big discount.
YES THEY DO! Thats part of my problem, I don't have the boxes so I can't tell who makes them. Not sure if anyone makes them anymore as well? Somone must still have the mold or the specs on them. If anyone has them or knows anything please post or PM me. Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did Grady HQ Customer service via phone tell you who is their supplier? The boxes may not have vendor markings on them

If they refuse, ask to speak to VP Joey Weller. Use these lines -
If Grady can tell who makes their gas tanks, then they can tell you who makes these boxes?
What's the secret?
How many Gradys do I have to own before I get a discount ? etc.

Sometimes it's best to put the Admiral on the phone, they are better skilled at complaining, getting what they want, plenty of practice on the Skipper. I see the Admiral as the sole reason the 305 was created !!! Leverage that power !

All seriousness aside, or ask Joey when Grady is running the next 2 for 1 sale?

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too am looking for a cheap alternative for the insert box for my 282. The admiral got a price from the local Grady dealer and they wanted around $500.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you were able to borrow them from someone else, you could probably have a small plastics manufacturer mold them for you, and it might be cheaper then that $500 price. I had a fiberglass lid for my battery/ oil well made for my other Grady with non skid and the price was around $200, you could probably have fiberglass boxes made for cheaper then the plastic ones, but they will be heavier and may not be pretty.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
>snip
... you could probably have fiberglass boxes made for cheaper then the plastic ones, but they will be heavier and may not be pretty.

If it were me I would get the dimensions from another owner, make up a mold out of wood, and lay them up with glass matt and epoxy - e-glass. And they would look nice if you micro-ballooned them, sanded them down, and shot them with urethane or epoxy paint. Would probably save you 70 to 80% plus a little time having fun with a project. They don't have to be super strong, they don't generally carry much weight, at least mine don't. So just a shell-box with a lip is going to work.

I wonder, are they all different sizes for the different models? More than $500 seems like a lot to me, I'd prolly do without them :(

SlimJim

Reaction score
Jay, I sent you one back. Thank You! Slim

SlimJim

Reaction score
could someone take a few pictures of ea box and the place they go into with any w-h-deep numbers for me? A member here (Jay ) can make them.

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Could someone do the same(Pics and dimensions) with the insert box for the 282. I would like to have one made up as well.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have no problem taking picks of the 265 boxes, but my cover will not be off until the last weekend of the month, if you have not gotten them by then pm me and I'll take measurements and picks for you.

Tom

oldmil007

Reaction score
Fiberglass repair and fabrication

I kind of like the spam-free nature of this board, the "signal to noise" factor is a pleasure so I've been reluctant up until now to mention my business.

But it seems like several people on this thread alone and on other threads are looking for a source for fiberglass parts (or repair). So, contrary to my first statement, here's an unabashed plug for my business.

If you would like more info, feel free to send me a PM and I'll furnish you our contact info. Alternatively, you could email me from the address in my profile.

- Jay

SlimJim

Reaction score
Tim Thanks a lot, if you could post or e-mail Jay the pictures and measurements of each box and how deeep they are that would be great. Jay, were a small group over here so never worry about posting your business as I am sure we all could use your services from time to time. Thanks again guys! Jay the boxes fit over the batterys to keep tham dry so no holes. PM me after you get the info and lets talk. Jim

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Ugh... pulled them out and left them on the boat.... I will have them tomorrow am.....
They should be easy to make!
Tim

SlimJim

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
Ugh... pulled them out and left them on the boat.... I will have them tomorrow am.....
They should be easy to make!
Tim
Thanks Tim!!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Jim,

Please see below...let me know if you any further info.

Here is the view from the top. Please confirm your opening accepts these dimensions.

IMG_2451.jpg

This is a view from the side. Notice both sides slant in, this is to accomadate sliding them into place. It probally does not needed to slant.

IMG_2452.jpg

This is the under side, notice the slightly curved lip. Some people have installed gaskets on this under side. I am going to bet this area is going to be difficult to fabricate. I would explore the possibility of making this flat, but using a gasket (low durometer) on the inside edge.

IMG_2454.jpg

Here is a close up.

IMG_2456.jpg

Be aware this is the port side, startboard is a mirror image.

Good luck!

Tim