Where to Mount Radar Screen

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1994 Seafarer 228G with a soft top and garmin chartplotter. I just added a radar arch and open array Furuno radar but need to figure out where to mount the Furuno screen to view the radar. Since my garmin will be in small spot just above the steering wheel I'm not sure where the best place to mount my Furuno radar screen would be. Any sugesstions?

Ideally I would use the MFD12 screen (16x10"), but I could also go with the MFD8 (13x 8). These picture aren't my boat but are the samemodel, dash looks identical (mine has no hardtop to mount a screen to):

Capture.JPGCapture_2.JPG

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A lot of guys will get some starboard or other material to close off the electronics compartments and then flush mount the screens where they see fit. I thought about doing this last year on my boat when I bought a brand new Garmin 943xsv but ultimately decided not to. The reasons for not doing so were that I didn't have the extra time to do so before the fishing season opened, and I think it's kind of nice to have a "locking" compartment to where the electronics are kept out of view and the elements. There's a couple other newer 228 Seafarer owners that have their screens flush mounted and I think they look great, not sure if I'll do it on my boat or not though as the jury is still out on that one. Good luck!

Reactions: Seafarer228_G

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I mounted my Simrad NSS12 Evo3 flush on my 228, and been very happy with the outcome. Should have gone that route much sooner than I did. Previously, I had two 9" inside the box and they never really suited me and harder to to see versus my split screen 12", I run my radar overlay on my GPS screen and fish finder/depth on other side. Works well for me.

20210730_193404.jpg20210424_135816.jpg20170820_150351.jpg

billyttpd

Reaction score
Looking at the dash of your boat Seafarer where cabin access hatch "lid" is would be the perfect spot if it was just the vertical door like an Adventure. no lid on a Adventure just solid glass and makes a spot to mount electronics (thats where mine is) Could a RAM Mount up towards the windscreen or on top or side of the radio box on a ball mount work??? the bar could swing over the lid a bit when underway and when you leave the boat remove the unit and swing the bar back so you can close up the cabin? A lot of the bass boat guy use the RAM mounts and as do guys in my profession mounting Mobile data terminals in squad cars. RM mounts are a tough product..Cabelas sells them and they may be the answer to your needs. No Im not a RAM rep lol The visual of these boats with a pulpit as opposed to not is so appealing BTW wish i had a pulpit on mine

Reactions: Seafarer228_G

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I love RAM mounts and apprecaite the suggestion. I've been considering that route but still looking for additional ideas. Right now it's between the RAM mount, mounting a 8" screen on the passanger dash, or making a fiberglass mold to extend the dash which seems like a lot of extra work (or the starboard route). Mostl likely will be the RAM mount. I think the a 15" screen might fit in the cabin doorway on a RAM mount, then be moved out of the way if someone need to go in.

Last edited: