Where to put bait tank(livewell) on my 208?

Bajaahh

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has installed an aftermarket bait tank on their 208? What do you like or dislike about the placement? What would you do differently? My factory tank just kills bait after an hour or two so I bought a nice fiberglass 40gallon round tank(Offshore Bait Tanks).

Im considering putting it as far forward as I can on the rear deck, leaving enough room to walk by it on both sides. The only thing is that I have the gas tank inspection hatch there. I was actually thinking of using that as my route to run the intake and overflow hoses. I thought I could just route out a hole in the cover and put the tank right over the inspection hatch. Any concerns? I need to get the weight(around 360)lbs as far forward as possible, so I think thats waaay too much to put towards the splash well.

-I also need to drill a hole in the hull for the overflow. Where would you consider doing it? (I was thinking of the side of the boat and not the transom).
-Do you know if there is a hole in the hull wood bracing to run a 1 1/2" hose through to on side of the boat or another?
Im going to call GW for info but you guys are always a wealth of info...

BTW, I have a 2005 208 with a 225 Yami 4stroke.
Thanks for your help.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
I plumbed my 40 gallon Pacific Edge tank as you describe, although it's on a Sailfish, so I can't give you specifics on your routing. For me, getting the weight as far forward as possible was a must, as well as walk around access. I routed both the fill and discharge lines through the deck plate, with M/F threaded elbow fillings making the coupling right through the holes. I used another deck plate, this time in the splash well hatch, for the water discharge. That way, I did not have to cut a discharge hole in my hull. So I think you've come up with a pretty good idea. A few drips of water may leak into the bilge from the splash well, but a well executed install, with precise hole cutting and proper sealants, keep that to a minimum.

When the boat is stored, it's a good idea to pop open all of the deck inspection plates to air out the fuel tank compartments and keep everything dry. My tank is removable, so I can just tip it over to access the deck plate underneath.

Bajaahh

Reaction score
Thanks Pez.I would love to stop by and check out your install...
Im gonna PM you. I still owe you beer for helping me find my boat.
Scott

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Baja,

We've got a Kodiak 32 gallon installed in about that location, but maybe slightly farther back than what you're describing. The trim ring for the fuel tank sending unit inspection port is slightly exposed in front of the tank. It's not plumbed all that cleanly, since the intake comes through the bulkhead below the splashwell and the overflow is just a hose out the back tied to the swim step. It was installed by the previous owner and has worked great the last 15 years we've owned the boat, so I've never done anything with it. If I were to do it again, I'd move it forward maybe 8-10 inches and plumb it so I didn't have to step over hoses to walk behind the tank.

I think you'll have to cut holes through bulkheads to plumb the overflow out the transom or the side.

Edit: A few photos showing you what I'm talking about

Notice the inspection port just showing in front of the tank
P1080824.JPG

Intake and overflow hoses
IMG_1156.JPG

Intake hose
AlbiesOnDeck.jpg