Which Anchor?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Getting ready to get the Lewmar Profish 700 FF with 500' of 8 strand rope and approx. 15' of chain.
When looking at the Lewmar Delta anchor's, it says the 14# is big enough for this size boat, but thought I had read in past most folks with this size boat used the 22# anchor?
There is quite a difference in the size between the 2, so question is do I really need the 22# or is that way overkill?

I do want to make sure I get a good hookup when bottom fishing and don't expect to do so in rough seas.

Which way should I go here? I don't think I should be too concerned with the extra 8 pounds up front, but by the time I had the rode/chain, windlass and a 22# anchor, maybe that will start to be too much up front?

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I use a 22# Delta on my Journey. I also have the 14# -- which is probably enough.

If you are going to be on the boat, the 14# is fine in normal conditions. If you are leaving it somewhere, I'd go with the 22# so you can worry less... As long as you can haul it up, it is hard to "overkill" on anchor size.

When I am not planning on anchoring, I leave my Fortress (FX-11) on the pulpit and stow the Delta to keep the weight down up front.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the info....do you notice any different behaviour up front when the Delta is up there vs the Fortress?
I haven't as of yet seen any time where I was worried about burying the bow so maybe the weight is not an issue.
In regards to trim, I am usually putting the front down a bit now, so a little weight might help with that actually is what I am thinking.

I was reading more in the WM catalog...there is an informational page that discusses this anchor size decision and they always say to error on the larger size.

I am not sure if my current anchor swivel will fit the larger 22#, so would need to check on that.

seasick

Reaction score
That is a lot of line. Do you have locker space to fit 500 feet of line?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This model has a pretty large locker area. I also have room to push it aside if it is too much for normal deployment.

I was assuming I needed this much to anchor in approx. 100' of water with a 5 to 1 scope? Do I need this much?

I know in my smaller boat, I used to anchor in 100' all the time when I was in Florida and didn't have but about 6' of chain and never had an issue, but this is a lot larger boat with more windage, so just going on recommendations on paper.

What realistically is the question here on how much rope folks use that bottom fish in 100' avg. water? Maybe with the larger anchor and less rope, will work also.......

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have a 22# Delta Fastset on the bow, with 600-ft of 1/2" 8-plait and 30-ft of 1/4" chain.

Also have a Danforth 12H spare in a bracket on the bow, with 20-ft rode and 6-ft chain under the aft port side of the V-berth. Ready to be shackled to the anchor.

I always recommend going at least one size up from the recommended size. You never know when you may have to anchor in depth and weather conditions that you did not plan on...

Brian

Bow-2.jpg

Bow-3.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
This model has a pretty large locker area. I also have room to push it aside if it is too much for normal deployment.

I was assuming I needed this much to anchor in approx. 100' of water with a 5 to 1 scope? Do I need this much?

I know in my smaller boat, I used to anchor in 100' all the time when I was in Florida and didn't have but about 6' of chain and never had an issue, but this is a lot larger boat with more windage, so just going on recommendations on paper.

What realistically is the question here on how much rope folks use that bottom fish in 100' avg. water? Maybe with the larger anchor and less rope, will work also.......

500 feet is not excessive, although 3 to 1 is usually fine for fishing. It really helps to go with a longer chain though, a foot of chain for each foot of boat length is one rule. The chain will help set the anchor and reduces the need for a longer rode.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
seasick said:
It really helps to go with a longer chain though, a foot of chain for each foot of boat length is one rule. The chain will help set the anchor and reduces the need for a longer rode.

Excellent rule-of-thumb. Same recommendation that I usually make.

Note that we have 30-ft on our primary rode.

Brian

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is the ticket - at least the length of the boat in chain. I'd check the storage area. I didn't think you could get 500' in there and even if you can, it might be tight and cause windlass issues. I think most GWs come with 300' but if it fits, more is better.

billfish33

Reaction score
we picked up our anchor at http://www.anchoring.com/stainless-stee ... nchor.html
We got our rode at http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchant.m ... chor_rodes

the SS-22 lb claw is working/looking great on our Gulfstream 23 !
300' of 8 plat rope,with 30' of chain {330' total length}

Were very pleased with what were using and where we purchased from .....at that time !

Edit :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also wanted to note, we needed to change to original anchor roller to one that was usable for a Bruce/claw type anchor !!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great info and thanks for the pics.

Some folks in the past mentioned that the Sailfish sportbridge model has a pretty large anchor locker. Dunno myself if 500' will fit well, but it sure looks like it would to me. Anyone out there know for sure with this same model? I have looked at some of the newer Grady's and thought the storage area seemed a bit smaller, but could be deception.

What I don't want to do is get rope too short and have to deal with splicing later if that is even possible.

Looks like a great deal from Secosouth on the rode! Thanks for the link! That is a nice looking anchor as well, but I think I will stick with the Lewmar Delta model as it seems every boat with windlass in my area has that same anchor, so it must be right for the area and is self launching. Also don't think I would need to change the existing roller.

I will add length to the chain now based upon what you are saying here. Maybe 25 to 30 feet is just right. Then maybe I can go down to 400' of rode as a compromise.

Brian, one question on the anchor chain pin....how well does that one work? That is the same one I had my eye on, but wondering if I needed to use the other style that pulls it tight? Is it possible to get the anchor tight to the roller so it does not move around?

Oh yeah, one more thought/question. Is there a difference in the 8 plaits out there in regards to the Windlass requirements for the Lewmar Windlass? Lewmar's package is very proud and limited in 300' length.

I like the price on Secosouth site and I did check from Defender also and they have several brands but could not tell me much in regards to differences in brands of 8 plait.

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
500 feet may fit, but it WILL jam the windlass as there won't be enough room for it to drop properly.

I have 300 feet on my 258, with about 20 feet of chain. I sometimes (when I've let a lot out) need to push the line down in the locker to un-jam the windlass.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Swiftcloud, is that with the 8 plait or 3 strand?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
billfish33, did more reading and checking out that anchor. Sounds pretty impressive overall and a real good price for a polished SS model in comparison to the Delta SS which is way out of price range.

You have any pics of the roller and with anchor snugged up to roller? Not sure, but might end up having to change something up front as I see others have the wrap around strap I guess to prevent the anchor from flying up or out off the roller. Mine is the one that has the slit so you can pull the anchor off the roller and stow away, so not sure if that will be a problem or not.

Thinking that once the anchor is pulled up snug, it will not move? Of course, will need some type of safety lockdown to hold it and not rely upon the windlass to hold it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
RobertH, the anchor locker can hold a lot more than 500 ft when the line extends into the lower V berth area. Presuming you are not always going to use than much all the time, keep the remainder down below in middle V berth. You may want to add a remote station at the bow and haul up from up there to watch the rode fall below the foredeck so it doesn't jam.

Do you have the lifting eye cleat now? You will need to remove it and threaded rod to mount the windlass, and add another cleat. The anchor locker is designed to hold a danforth anchor, but can use any other up on the roller.

Besides the chain stopper, you can rig a short lenght of 3/8 inch 3 strand tied to a stainless S like hook (with one closed end) and fit it into one of the chain links and snug it off the cleat when running, and the rode itself to the cleat when anchored.

Your boat is prerigged with heavy gauge pos and neg feeder cable from the stern to bow for the windlass, hopefully it will save you. You will find it on the port corner at the stern , up high. Just add a breaker and go.
But you will need the solenoid style (reversing contactor) type of control, with it installed at bow area.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks BobP, forgot that the rode can extend down into the middle locker.

Looking at the Lewmar 700 Profish FF and the wireless remote so I can control any issues and watch it from below or above if needed to relieve any tangles.
The Profish comes with the solenoid and breaker. Just need to figure out how to mount the solenoid up under the deck.

I already removed the threaded rod and galvanized framework. I had to do some glasswork and gelcoat repair as there was a small gelcoat crack at the bow eye when I got the boat. Looked like someone had maybe hit the bow roller at one point, but the repair is now un-noticable. I made a 1/2" thick Alum. Backing Plate for the bow eye in place of the galvanized frame for the lifting ring so it added some extra room also.

I did find the existing wiring and happy that Grady thought ahead on that and included it. Looks like it will be a simple install overall.

I am now kinda parked on getting the 22" Delta Fastset anchor with 25' of 1/4 chain and 400' 8 plait rode unless someone else changed my mind here. I think most of the time when anchoring in 100' of depth, this anchor with that much chain will likely be plenty. I recall I used to use approx. 200-250' when anchoring in this depth back when I lived in Florida and never really had any issue hooking up and I only had about 6' of chain, so with that, it seems 400' will be good.

Thanks for the tips and anyone else have any pics or tips, please share!

seasick

Reaction score
Check the breaker rating and wire size for the factory pre-wires. That Lewmar needs a 50 amp breaker and draws 35 amps at full load. I don't know about your model vessel but a lot of the earlier modes were wired for a 40 amp feed.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was wondering about that actually. The Marinco website has a chart. If I understand it correctly, there should not be more than a 3% voltage drop over the entire length of the cable including length from battery + to device and back to - at battery. So in this case, if I estimate 50' total length and use between 30 and 40 amps, it says I require 2ga wire! That is pretty big stuff.

Does this seem right? I am guessing the gauge that Grady provided looks more like 6ga, but will need to go check it for sure. Should be marked.

seasick

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I was wondering about that actually. The Marinco website has a chart. If I understand it correctly, there should not be more than a 3% voltage drop over the entire length of the cable including length from battery + to device and back to - at battery. So in this case, if I estimate 50' total length and use between 30 and 40 amps, it says I require 2ga wire! That is pretty big stuff.

Does this seem right? I am guessing the gauge that Grady provided looks more like 6ga, but will need to go check it for sure. Should be marked.
3% is for electronics, you can tolerate up to 10% for loads like the windlass.
For your 50 ft rune, 6 gauge is appropriate

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Excellent! I will check it to make sure, but it looked to be about 6ga.