which combo radar/gps/sounder

2ndChance

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I have an adventure 208. The depth finder just went (had to be 6-7 years old or more). It could be the transducer, wiring or the unit itself, which I accidentally dropped last week (I partially caught it before it hit the floor, but that might have done it in). The fish-finder was never that great anyway and I need radar as I fish offshore when the opportunity presents itself.

Instead of trouble shooting and replacing something, I was thinking of finally putting in a combo unit as I need the radar. I don't know what to look for as far as models. I have had good luck with Garmin products, not as much with Lowrance. What would something like that run me? I'll get some buddies to help with the install.

I appreciate any advice.

Joe

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno, Lowrance, Northstar, you can't go wrong, they are ALL good. What really matters is how you feel about them and how easy is for YOU to use it. I've used them all, so i can say that you cannot beat Furuno radar, you can not beat Raymarine or Garmin GPS/plotter, you cannot beat Furuno or Raymarine fishfinder/sonar, but what i think and this is my personal opinion, for all around easy to use first is Garmin then Lowrance then Raymarine then the others. Good luck.

bc282

Reaction score
the new Furuno stuff is awesome and their service is second to none in the industry even in these crappy times. Furuno may be a little more expensive, but when you need help, they are readily available and their email or phone techs really know their stuff (definitely can't say that about Navico stuff and Garmin).
Some did not like the VX1 or VX2 plotters as they were not as intuitive as some others, but the latest stuff including the NN3D is very nice and easy to use. Their FF and radar as mentioned are exceptional.

2ndChance

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm looking at furuno systems to start with. I'll have to give up some features given my budget, which is 2K or less. Someone suggested starting with a system that is modular so that I can add the radar when I have the $$.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As far as quality, Northstar and Furuno take top honors, but that does not mean they are the easiest to use. Garmin is the absolute easiest to use for most people and they have a good product, Raymarine has good products too who are not far behind in ease of use. Raymarine had a lot of issues with there multi units having screens fog up and with software issues, they claim to have fixed it on newer releases but I still hear of issues, just not as many, I think mounting location and angle have a LOT to do with this current issue. Northstar makes the BEST quality gps/chartplotters but they are not the simplest to use, but they are reliable and very accurate. Furuno makes great products that are reliable and offer top quality for all components. Furuno has high quality radars, FF and plotters, Garmin is best known for plotters, there Radars have come a long way and become very good, there FF are decent, but I have not seen them to be as accurate as furuno or Raymarine's as of yet, but they are getting close. Raymarine makes an awesome radar, FF and plotter, but the above mentioned issues make me leary to spend that sort of money on a multiunit from them.

Personally I run Furuno electronics, they are commercial grade and last, I've never had issues with them and they are reliable and accurate.

Working for many high end boat builders, I've seen a lot of electronics on boats, but most owners who spent high dollars went with Furuno, a handfull with Simrad, a very small number with Raymarine, and then Northstar or Garmin were typically used as either the primary or backup GPS/chartplotter. A lot of high end tournament sportfishermen left with Northstar for the quality and accuracy, a lot of owners who operate there own boats or who cruised more went with Garmins for ease of use. Things are different when your spending $40-50k on electronics or more, but these owners all picked electronics that suited there needs the best. whatever you buy needs to be something you can use, something high end reliable and accurate may be something you cannot operate, and then becomes useless, so take a peak at electronics at an expo or boat show or a local shop and have someone go over them with you and see what your comfortable with.

Personally I'm not a fan of multi units actually, I hate splitting a screen, but on some boats its all there is room for. I prefer a separate FF with a dedicated screen. The only reason for a multi unit is to put radar overlay onto a gps/plotter which comes in very handy and makes navigating a lot easier and safer. On multiunits, if one unit goes, they ALL go, making repairs and fixes more expensive and more likely down the road, with separate units, one might last longer then others and not warrant a replacement. Typically FF do not change that much in technology, the only new trend coming our way is multi frequency units where you can find tune the frequency to target your targeted species for that trip to more accurately locate fish, gps and radars are constantly updating and evolving to be more accurate, show more detail and come out with better technology. These units are going to more then likely need to be replaced a lot sooner. Not saying this is best for all, but take that into consideration before you spend a lot of money on a new unit, see what suits your needs best now as well as 5 years from now.

2ndChance

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a furuno depth finder on the boat to start with - the LS6100 fits the bill. next season, i'll add the radar/chartplotter. what would be a good radar/plotter unit for this setup?

blackgrady

Reaction score
boaterbarn.com. northstar m84 (8 inch display) flushmount ready for 900 bucks. northstar m121 (12 inch display) for 1240. i bought the 12 inch and a transom mount transducer and it was the best decision i made as far as electronics. i even sold a 10.4 furuno to obtain the northstar.

seasick

Reaction score
blackgrady said:
boaterbarn.com. northstar m84 (8 inch display) flushmount ready for 900 bucks. northstar m121 (12 inch display) for 1240. i bought the 12 inch and a transom mount transducer and it was the best decision i made as far as electronics. i even sold a 10.4 furuno to obtain the northstar.
A 10 inch or 12 inch display will not fit in the electronics locker on a 208. The 8 may not fit either. I have Garmin 5 inch and it just fits when using the bracket.
I have a separate fish finder next to the plotter.
The only viable place for a larger unit would be overhead if you have a hardtop or arch

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember) GW redesigned the e-box and dash area and made the opening bigger. An 8" screen will fit in this box.

I had a 99, and had to shoehorn a VHF/FF combo (a Lowrance 480 if I recall) and a VHF in there to fit. Had to remove the instrument panel and work from the top down.

seasick

Reaction score
Parthery said:
In 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember) GW redesigned the e-box and dash area and made the opening bigger. An 8" screen will fit in this box.

I had a 99, and had to shoehorn a VHF/FF combo (a Lowrance 480 if I recall) and a VHF in there to fit. Had to remove the instrument panel and work from the top down.

I have a 2001 208 and the box doesn't look much bigger than earlier models but to be honest, I never really checked.. I guess a lot depends not so much on the screen size but rather the overall height of the unit. I also should have mentioned that my GPS is mounted on a swivel bracket so that I can remove it. The bracket uses some of the available height.
BTW, when I say electronics box, I am referring to the lockable storage compartment above the dash and not the area where the gauges are mounted.