which engine set up is better

ciagrman

Reaction score
I am trying to decide wether to buy a seafarer with an in/ob or one with an outboard. Which is better for this 22 'boat?

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
In a salt water environment I prefer an outboard since you can tilt the motor up out of the water thus eliminating electrolysis in the expensive gear case when not being used. If the boat is kept on a trailer then it probably doesn't matter.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Look for one with a bracket, and you'll never look at an I/O again ... :wink:

no problem

Reaction score
I prefer outboards on a bracket because I like the unobstructed deck. It's personal preference I suppose. I remember tinkering with my inboard outboard engines often. The outboards generally work or they don't. That's just my experience, I'm sure others will vary. Sounds like you need to sea trial a few for yourself. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I vote for the bracket. There are several advantages of the the outboard in terms of ease of maintenance, typically better power to weight ratios than i/0s and with newer outboards the fuel economy is often better too. I have never seen a 228 with i/0. I like the deck layout of the 228 with the bracket. I wonder how different it would be with an i/o compared to the bracket.

As an aside I was in Charleston SC at Haddrells bait and tackle off of Folly Beach Road. Anyway, there was a guy in there helping me with some tackle questions and he told about his 228 from the 80s era. He liked the boat, but called it the sea donky as it was a rough riding boat. He said it was pre Sea V2 hull and the Sea V2 hull rides significantly better. I am not sure if the i/o 228s were CV2 or not. If they are all pre CV2, I would consider the hull too beyond the i/o versus outboard