Which Grady? 22' or 24' pre or post 92?

Airslot

Reaction score
We are moving in the direction of our first Grady this season. We had been set on getting a mid 90's Seafarer 228. Then in the middle of the hunt we got 2 foot itis yet again and started looking at 24's. Thought we may save a few bucks by going pre 1992. Now I've got myself thoroughly confused.

We are coming out of a Wellcraft V-20 which has been a great boat, but has grown a little small for us with a 10 & 12yo. I guess the real question is, how do the pre '92 24's ride? I know its all relative, but I'm guessing that any of the 24's are going to ride better than a V-20?

Your thoughts?

'Slot

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A Gulfstream 23 would be an excellent choice, but go with twins if you do it. The boat doesn't handle well with a single. Another excellent choice, if you are already thinking 24', is the '92 or '93 Sailfish, with twin 200's. I think there is still one listed here on the classifieds (gw204's), and it's not very far from you. Worth checking out.

Airslot

Reaction score
I've considered it. My hold up w/ the 23 is towing w/ a half ton truck, and the better efficiency of the 22 or 24 over the 23. If I had a bigger truck I may be able to overlook that. I'm used to getting 3.5mpg in my wellcraft. For the fishing I do, the Gulfstream is overkill.

'Slot

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
No matter the size you choose, go with a SeaVee II hull. All models were changed +/- '92, so check with Grady on any specific hull you're looking at.

I went with an '86 Tournament 22 (w/ bracket) and I'm not happy with the offshore ride ... :?

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
Airslot,

I've had a 1994 24ft Explorer w/SV2 hull for 4 years. Moved up from a 1986 20ft Overnighter.

Pros:
Hardtop with wrap-around enclosure
A lot more room
Almost the same draft for back bay fishing/docking
Able to fish 3 people comfortably compared to 20 footer
Handles weather/chop much better than 20 ft-possibly because of SV2-but definetly because of 4 more feet and much more weight

Cons:
More expensive to run (gas)
More prep work in spring
More difficult to dock (heavy boat) by myself in windy conditions

The Explorer is doing a great job because my dad (73 yrs old) is more comfortable. But the 20 footer was easier to fish/dock-as I enjoy fishing and go by myself alot.

Right now you can get a great deal on almost any used boat. Check them all out. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision after thorough research.

Good luck with you choice.

mjtyszki

Reaction score
My 1990 offshore rides extremely well in seas not exceeding 5'. When you are going into a head sea you will get a little slap but I have experienced the same thing in the explorer model.

I am hard pressed to believe that the Sea V2 hull makes much of a difference for the folks in the back of the boat, the Captain on the other hand will experience the benefits and be able to tell the difference right away.

All in all, if budget is on your mind, I would not hesitate for a second to buy a pre 92 24'. Rides well, big boat feel, good fishability.

On a side note; I would go with the closed transom model (242g). Much better sense of security (safer), better ride, more room.

Airslot

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes, which ever model we settle on will have a bracket. Bracket and hardtop are requirements for this purchase.

'Slot

who is still looking....

family man

Reaction score
I have owned both a pre and a post Sea-V-2 hull (both Tournament 19s), and these are my thougths. The Sea-V-2 hull has a much better ride when heading into steep chop. Much smoother and alot less pounding. On the other hand, goind downswell, the older boat was better. It tracked better and did not feel like it wanted to bury the bow and turn quickly at the bottom of a swell in following seas.

Overall, I like the Sea-V-2 alot better, but there is a trade off