Which Gradys? preowned Seafarer, Gulfstream or Voyager?

Rhangrea

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and I am in process of searching/buying pre-owned Grady White for a while. 5months actively, 2 years on & off.
I am looking for a boat that can fish stripers, salmons, sturgeons, rockcods and tunas in delta, reservoirs and in Pacific with 3-4 men. I plan on trailering for occasional fishing trip up and down the West coast. Which boat would you recommend for fishability and ride? And why? Any comment on reasonable price, and any equipment or optional features I should get would also be helpful?

1998 and up Seafarer (226 & 228G) with hardtop & trailer
1996 and up Voyager with hardtop and trailer
1995 and 2000 Gulfstream with hardtop and trailer

Thank you in advance for your advices!

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
That is great that you asked this question because I am actually looking at the exact same set of boats. I am in the Pac NW and they are hard to find up here. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: TMANN

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll offer my impressions on ride, having run 3 of the 4 boats mentioned, but I don't know much about the current used boat market for pricing.

I love the layout of the 228. Best 22' walkaround on the market, in my opinion. Large fish and drink boxes and a livewell on centerline.

Both the 258 and 232 are considerably bigger boats than the 228 with a noticeably better ride in a chop. the 232 actually feels bigger and is overall, longer than the 258 and it has a wider beam. They both weigh about the same.

232 has more cabin space and the wider beam will accomodate the 3-4 anglers you mentioned more easily than the other two.

258 has the more 'fishable' transom and comes standard with six rod holders rather than 4.

Of the three boats, the 258 gives a slightly better ride into a chop, in my opinion. The more narrow beam and a bit more waterline length over the 232, gives it a slight edge over the 232 heading into a chop. It also performs well with a single engine, where I don't think I would be happy with a 232 with a single engine.

In my limited experience, the 232 was a little better at keeping the nose up in a following sea, although if I had twin engines on my 258 I might say they are pretty similar in that regard.

Good luck in your search!

Rob

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Gulftream beam is wider than 9 ft, may have some issues trailering so be sure you know what is what on trailering enforcement where you are when over 8ft 6 inch on the beam, like other two boats which have no such issues to contend with.

The 228 is a longer 209.
The 258 is a longer 228.
The Islander is a longer 258.
That's it on the 8ft 6in beam cabin models.

The 232 is entirely different , as a wide beam model. It had a wider bridge and bigger and deeper cabin, it is also offered single or twin configuration.
The 232 is a shorter Sailfish.

Try out all the models in the sea conditions you intend to go in, family members included, otherwise your satisfaction may be a crap shoot.
Local Grady dealer is good place to get sea trials as they have all three models.

Good luck.

Rhangrea

Reaction score
Wahoo & BobP - Thanks!
We don't have much used Gradys out in West coast for sales period. I think there are less than 10 total I see on Craigslist (Seattle to San Diego). So it is near impossible to test ride different older Gradys. And that is the reason why I am asking you guys on your opinion of the boat ride and other features. I have searched Grady websites and their catalogues, but it is hard to get ride condition, engine choices, which features to look for and any trailer related issues with each model.

So far, I gather:
- 232 has trailer license issues but it has better standup room in cabin and it rides real good in chops. how about swells 6-18 footers? tackling outgoing tide with cross current under SF golden gate bridge situation?
- 228G is preferred over 226 for better transom? why? maybe better livewell location? 226 better for outboard weight issues?
- 248 is not as wide as 232 but still have better ride going into waves? how about swells? better deck layout? better fishbox?

Additionally, I just got turned down on 1998 $24,900 boat without a trailer. I offered $20k with a trailer. I've seen similar 2000 $25000 boat and passed. Was this consider low ball?

I would appreciate any West coast Grady owners to comment on sea conditions and how your boat handles it, even if it isn't any of the boat I've mentioned above.

Cardinal, PM me with your email/tel #. We should compare some notes.

Thanks to all, and keep any and all comments coming.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wouldn't consider it a low ball at all, unless owner posted it as firm. Then it is insulting what you did.

Some people seemingly selling, are really not selling, unless they get what they expect, irregardless of market conditions and actual SELLING prices taking place NOW. Although listed asking prices may be similar as last year, the spread in actual sale price vs. asking can be massive.

That means they are not really selling anything.
It's a state of denial for many sellers both in real estate and boats. Never have I recall a market going south so deep in so fast of a time frame.

The boating industry was hit with a two shot blast, two years in a row, the first was $5+ gallon gas, then the market dive the next year now. No one talks about the gas hit since it pales to the dive.

But there is a massive supply of boats for sale, few buyers. So that allows you to see many boats. You can buy a boat anywhere in the country, there are professional who can check it out for you, and you never have to actually go there. Professional boat movers move boats across the country relatively cheap.

Irrespective of market conditions, move on until you find what you want, a sale should benefit both buyer and seller.
Ignore and don't look back after bad experiences with some sellers you meet, it's not your fault their boat is worth(less), let them take it up with their elected officials and SEC who blew it, in fuel pricing control, collaring wall street crooks even with repeative tips, and watching the dive from the spectator seats.

There is a recomended broker here named fishon by handle, go to for sale forum, see if he can assist you finding what you want. he knows Gradys.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Wahoo that the 228 is the best 22 w/a there is. The layout is perfect, with lots of cockpit space, decent seating, and a cabin where you can lock stuff up.

Personally, though I love my boat and have had it a long time, I don't think it rides that great. Mine is a pre-SV2 hull, which seems to be what you're looking for as well. Now the conditions in the Gulf are MUCH different to yours. The Gulf is famous for close-together and sometimes steep chop, though not usually large swells. West coasters seem to have big swells without the chop. If you take the potential pounding from chop away, I would be thrilled with this boat (well, I'm still thrilled with it, but the pounding can be annoying).

Rhangrea

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider it a low ball at all, unless owner posted it as firm. Then it is insulting what you did.
No, it was not a firm price, one of many dozens $25k boats out there on boats For Sale classified ad sites. It seem cared for and has a hardtop with a 250 Yam SWS but no trailer. No special features like bow pulpit and windlass with SS rails, radar or twin engines. It didn't have bottom paint, but bottom paint doesn't bother me as long as it is smooth and not faded.
Thanks BobP! and Grouper yes I am looking for a SV2 hull. Thanks for your insight.
I will be down in Mississippi next months and I hope to find something by then.