which is better

jbukie

Reaction score
i have a yamaha 225 four stroke. I use ring free with every fill up but which additive do you think is better, startron or sta-bil?

dlevitt

Reaction score
While I have nothing to base this on other than my mechanics recommendation, I use startron. I'm sure that they both have similar properties in keeping the fuel "fresh". However, since the E10 gas is around, I have greater comfort in how Startron claims to protect against water separation. Stabil claims to just be a fuel stabilizer.

Of course, Stabil now has a marine formula, which may make the decision more difficult. But for me, I'm sticking with Startron until I'm told something different.

David

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Using one or the other all the time year round, seems to be the consensus with this ethanol fuel.

I presume you have been using ethanol for some time, if just converting to ethanol, more advise will be provided.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I missed you are from long Island, been drinkin that white lightening fuel for some time now partner !

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
use the marine stabil only
i have seen the red stuff gel up with e-10

do not use yami's stabilizer, it sux!!!

jbukie

Reaction score
yea i've been around the E10 for awhile. But i recently moved up to a 222 fisherman. I used startron in my old boat, whaler outrage with honda power just curious as the thoughts with the grady and the yamaha.

How's the bass fishing out East bob, i've heard it's been good. I fish the central area, starting to slow down here.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am a true Startron believer (in my Pathfinder, too). It doesn't just separate the water, it breaks it down. What I like best about it is that you can't overdose the fuel. Suggested ration but overdosing is not harmful. Read the labels on some of the others "DO NOT OVERTREAT". I find I am going through filters faster, though.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Neither. I use PRI-G (+ Ring Free). And I concur with the above to not over treat. I now "under treat" since I'm buring more gas this time of year.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No easy pick out here for a cow, even charter boats have to work it and are not limiting out, of course that's what's not found in the reports.
As usual, at night the real bass fishing goes on, all night long.
Guys have been porgying for bass already.

It's summer time and the livin is easy, I prefer plenty of time with feet up at dock and lazy fluke fishing. When fall comes and the tourists and transients are gone, the grease on those reel bearings will start heating up along with the blood pressure. That's our time for live lining eels and porgies along with becoming a familiar face at the gas dock - "You back again?"

jbukie

Reaction score
i'm with you bob, this time of year i rather enjoy the lazy fluke fishing. More hanging out than fishing really. Once the fall rolls in the intensity picks up.

Enjoy the summer

okletsfish

Reaction score
I also use PRI-G.Last August I filled my boat up on the way home from a fishing trip in Delaware.I added the PRI-G when filling up as usual.As luck has it some medical issues came up and I didn`t use the boat until last week.I took it out not knowing what to expect. She started right up and ran great all day.I don`t know weither it was the PRI-G,but I am leaning to it ,because of all the stories I have heard about E10. :wink:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've used PRI-G for years and had good luck with it...

$24 bottle treats 256 gallons.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
well
tell the truth, if your looking for stabilization they both work

but to remove water from tank, NOTHING WORKS! cept pumping it out, LOL

for me i use them all, what ever is cheaper that day and i can find it on the shelf