Which is stronger: Bow Cleats or Bow Eye?

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In anticipation of foul weather, I am thinking about how best to secure my 258 on the mooring...

Should I secure it to the mooring via the bow eye (for trailering) or are the bow cleats (how I normally secure it) a better choice?

:hmm

DaleH

Reaction score
Personally I'd rig a "Y" bridle of 2 lines down from each cleat, through the bow eye each way, and then to the mooring eye, forgetting the pickup buoy. The dual lines spreads the loading and gives 1 as backup if the other fails.

TIP: Wrap the lines where they chafe the hull with old cotton rags, secured with zipties, same at the cleats. Lines part when the internal temperature (from the repeated stretch and contraction) exceeds the line tensile strength. Oh, and use 3-strand or 8-plait nylon lines, NEVER braided lines - no stretch. The wet rags will help keep the lines 'cool'. Read this in a Boat/US hurricane prep article, with the author (mooring service) stating he hasn't lost a line since doing this.

I also will put a 5-gallon bucket off each stern cleat via a good 10' line, helping to minimize any chafing and prevents excessive swinging, which can unhook traditional moorings (mushroom type).

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm not sure how it is on the 258 but as I recall, my older Sailfish has the bow cleat tied into the bow eye via threaded rod.

Best of luck with this storm. As of right now, the forcast is for the eye to cross us in Connecticut. Fortunately mine is on the trailer at home.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd use the bow eye, less chaffing and if the boat twists the rails will not get torn apart. If the winds are strong enough to tear out the bow eye odds are other boats and debris would have already torn through her.