Which model to buy

dok

Reaction score
I have been a sailboat guy for several years but have dreamed about owning a Grady White someday. Well the day is here but I’m not sure what model I should be looking for. I am looking for a used Grady. I want a boat to cruise comfortably in SW Florida waters. I will do some fishing but not interested in going far offshore. I like the idea of a small cuddy in case we want to overnight occasionally or to get out of the sun for a while. I appreciate all the suggestions and tips.

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi ! I was in the same position about 18 months ago. I was a sailboat guy my whole life and was looking for something differrent. I got lucky and somewhat by accident found a an bought a 1997 grady voyager with a single 250 2stroke yamaha. The boat has been very good and a lot of fun. We do not fish but rather do day trips and have done some cruising (my wife and I with a Yacht Club group travelled 100miles each way last summer to Maine sleeping on the boat for 5 nights and in hotel marinas for 5 nights) The boat is very reliable and goes well in a sea up to about 3ft. Also it is easy to learn and easy to operate. The boat is 24 ft. long and 8ft.6in wide cruises at about 25 mph and get about 2mp gal of gas. Send me a Pm if you want additional details. Lew PS. We have a winter condo in Ft. Lauderdale

dok

Reaction score
Enough Already,

Good questions. I really haven't thought of all the questions I need to ask myself so this helps.

I was thinking of single engine only for economy and that I hadn't planned on longer trips. I would be trailering it at this point. I am only familiar with the older 2 strokes, but understand the newer fuel injected ones are preferred by some. As for budget I would like to stay below $12,000 if I can find a good boat in that range. If that is unrealistic for my needs or spending more means having a boat that takes less funds later (add ons, etc.) then I can go higher. I won't be in SW Florida full time for a few years so the boat will not get heavy use for a while.

Thanks for getting me thinking more about what I want in a Grady.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As far as small cuddys go, it' s relative what small means.

Go down to you local Grady White dealer and starting with the 20 ft Adventure, go in each cabin and see what works. Don't be concerned it's a new boat and the prices are what they are, you are only getting a feel for the size, no commitmenet to buy anything from dealer. Just say you are shopping. Dealers also broker used boats you can get on.

The Adventure (older ones had different names) is the most popular 20 ft walkaround and for rightful reasons, then going up in 2 ft increments they just get proportionally bigger. Bigger is better ride, bigger cabin, more fuel, heavier tow vehicle.

What tow vehicle you have is important, the boats get very heavy, even the Adventure should have dual axle trailer with brakes.

These models, up to and including the Islander are 8ft6in beam legally trailerable with no restrictions.

Each can be equipped with single motors as from factory, the Islander sometimes twins.

Then based on your budget and the boats you like, and what is too small and unacceptable ruling those out, start looking on boatraderonline.com, etc. to get a feel for model year vs. price in your region. But boats can be shipped anywhere these days.

Then get the the boat motor and boat inspected for it's condition, looks are always deceiving on structural boat issues. Motor is easier to figure out. For individual boat models you like, come back and ask here, plenty of owners for any of the models to help you fine tune the choice.

Good luck in your search.

dok

Reaction score
BobP,

Thanks for the great advice. I have a full size Suburban set up for pulling our camper so that shouldn't be a concern with the size boat we are looking for. But the legally trailerable fact is good to know. I glad I stumbled onto this site. What a great group of people. Thanks for the help and advice. I'm sure I will have more questions as the search continues.