Which one? 232Gulfstream -vs- BW23Conquest -vs- Shamrock246

Which one would you buy? 232Gulfstream, BW23Conquest or Shamrock246WA?

• Grady White 232GT Gulfstream

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Grady White 228G Seafarer

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Grady White 248 Voyager

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boston Whaler 23 Conquest

• Shamrock 246 WA

• Total voters

Rhangrea

Reaction score
I am in search of new used boat, AGAIN. I've been looking at Grady Whites and Boston Whalers, mostly Grady Whites Seafarer 228G, Gulfstream 232GT, Voyager 248 and Boston Whaler Conquest23. But I started to consider Shamrock 246 with inboard and pocket drive. What would be PROs and CONs for each boat?

How would you compare Shamrock 246WA with GW Gulfstream 232GT and BW Conquest23? Mid 90's to early 2000 if possible with around $20k budget. More for an exceptional boat.
The boat is for inshore and offshore fishing 90% in California, and 10% cruising in large lakes & bays. It should have adequate fishing space for minimum 3 men and good ride quality in 5-20' swell cruising and trolling. I am looking for a model with a hard top and foot rails.

If there is price difference/premium then which one should I pay more for it and how much?
Appreciate all your advises in advance! Thanks.

catch22

Reaction score
Gulfstream gets my vote, but... 5' to 20' swell???... you might want to add a 65 Viking to the list. :D

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2008 232 gulfstream with twin 150's

put 90 hrs on here last year and have no regrets with the purchase. Its been a great boat!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Even factoring in the probable bias toward the Gulfstream..(It is a Grady Site) the Sham and the Whaler would have to be incredible all-around rigs to best the 232.

My vote..(OK, maybe a LITTLE bias..)
The 232 with twin 200's..I own one with this power, and it's the best...

I'm assuming that your "swell" description means rounded tops and gradual trough-to-crest angles, allowing for a safe passage up-and-down them..

Workdog

Reaction score
Back when I was in the market for another boat, I looked briefly at Shamrock. For the equivalent length, the Shamrocks are too narrow, and the engine compartment too cramped (I previously had to deal with a tight engine compartment and there was no way I was doing that again). Additionally, the areas I fish can occasionally get a little thin, and an I/B wasn't going to hack it. I got the Grady.

HMBJack

Reaction score
On boats of this size, I'd stay away from inboards since you get all that extra space for fuel tanks and fish boxes with the outboard powered boats - plus reduced fire hazard (unless it's a diesel). The 232 is a terrific boat but may require extra towing permits and need to avoid certain highways due to it's 9'3" beam. Can't go wrong with the 228 as a trailerable very ocean ready baot so you ahve some very good choices there. p.s. In the last week, I just but my 2006 very loaded 228 up for sale but it may be out of your price range. Boat is located in Half Moon Bay and is priced at $47K or B/O. Call if interested - Jack 650-346-1445.

HMBJack

Reaction score
On boats of this size, I'd stay away from inboards since you get all that extra space for fuel tanks and fish boxes with the outboard powered boats - plus reduced fire hazard (unless it's a diesel). The 232 is a terrific boat but may require extra towing permits and need to avoid certain highways due to it's 9'3" beam. Can't go wrong with the 228 as a trailerable very ocean ready boat so you have some very good choices there. p.s. In the last week, I just but my 2006 very loaded 228 up for sale but it may be out of your price range. Boat is located in Half Moon Bay and is priced at $47K or B/O. Call if interested - Jack 650-346-1445.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I would take any of those gradys over the other 2 manf. While they are good boats, the BW will beat you to death in a chop and the deep V on the Shamrock will roll you till you puke on a drift.

Rhangrea

Reaction score
magicalbill
...I'm assuming that your "swell" description means rounded tops and gradual trough-to-crest angles, allowing for a safe passage up-and-down them..
Yes Magic, it doesn't have waves or whitcaps on top.

Workdog
...Shamrocks are too narrow, and the engine compartment too cramped (I previously had to deal with a tight engine compartment and there was no way I was doing that again). Additionally, the areas I fish can occasionally get a little thin, and an I/B wasn't going to hack it. I got the Grady.
I was afraid of that. Thanks.

HMBJack
...I'd stay away from inboards since you get all that extra space for fuel tanks and fish boxes with the outboard powered boats - plus reduced fire hazard ...
Yeah, HMBJack, I agree. I get tempted by newer shinier boats as I search. And, yes it is out of my budget. Thanks though.

Stonewall
...While they are good boats, the BW will beat you to death in a chop...
Hey Stonewall, or any others,
Could you elaborate on this? I've always heard that BW hulls especially 23 Conquest and 23 Outrage were good on waves including chops as good as Gradys. I've not been on many of them nor been on both on same seas to give direct comparison. But I could understand GW 232 being more stable than 23 Conquest but GW228 better ride than 23 Conquest seems difficult. I am not disputing your claim, I just want more explanation to understand this.

Thanks ya'll, I do want to get Grady just for this group.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Stonewall
...While they are good boats, the BW will beat you to death in a chop...
[/quote] Hey Stonewall, or any others,
Could you elaborate on this? I've always heard that BW hulls especially 23 Conquest and 23 Outrage were good on waves including chops as good as Gradys. I've not been on many of them nor been on both on same seas to give direct comparison. But I could understand GW 232 being more stable than 23 Conquest but GW228 better ride than 23 Conquest seems difficult. I am not disputing your claim, I just want more explanation to understand this.

Thanks ya'll, I do want to get Grady just for this group.[/quote]

It's just been my experience that the BW rides much rougher in a chop than the Grady. The last time I was in the ocean in 3-5 footers on a 25 BW I thought I would need a kidney transplant after I got back. I was out last summer of of Ocean City MD in my Son's 228 and was amazed at the ride. It's not the ride of my 33 Express, but it was better than the BW by a long shot!

All I can do is ask you to take a sea trail of both boats on equal days. See which one you like better.

Reactions: Irish1

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Forget the shamrock, they have had some issues with quality in recent years, problems with poor finish quality and delaminating hulls. They are not built like they used to be, used to be an awesome boat but not built the same. Whaler builds a great boat, and a coworker of mine used to work for them as a designer so I know what goes into their boats. As far as the 23 goes though, I feel the Grady has more usable space, personally most guys with boats under 25ft never use the cabin, so on a 23 ft boat more usable space is typically at the helm and in the cockpit. The 23 whaler has a small cockpit for a boat in it's class, the eurotransom eats up a lot of space, really your getting a smaller boat. The Whaler is built well and their customer service is just as good as Grady's so as far as quality or service they are about even. The layout is the big difference. The 23 gulfstream has more cockpit due to the bracket, but makes the boat longer and more expensive to dock if your marina is by the ft. The Whaler will have a nicer cabin interior. I also like how whaler situates access to batteries and mechanicals below decks, typically much better access then any other brand or boat in the size range, one of the few advantages that I would give this particular whaler. If you were talking bigger like a 28, I'd vote for the Whaler personally, before we bought our 265 Express the 28 whaler was on the top of our list, the sailfish did not even make the top 3 actually, to us it lacked a lot for our use.

I would knock the shamrock off the list and then make a list or pros and cons of both the whaler and Grady, both are great brands and hold their value well, just depends which suits you better. Persoanlly I feel the Grady is more usable space then the whaler, but as far as the cabin and finish, I have to say the whaler might take the cake there. Either way you cannot really go wrong. Also, as a consideration, any preference with engines? If you have a mechanic you trust and like, stick with that brand. Personally I'd never buy a merc unless it has been out for atleast 2 years, they ALWAYS have issues early on, but work them out over time, personally Verados have not proven themselves to me yet, Yamaha's have, over time the Verado's might be great engine's, but early on their track record was far from good, part of the reason we did not buy the whaler at the time.

Rhangrea

Reaction score
Thanks Stonewall and gradyfish22 for your input.
Yes, I did take off Shamrock from the list, and you guys have stated why among other issues.

Here is what I like/dislike about GW 232 and BW 23 Conquest.
GW 232GT:
+ wider beam (9'3") and bracket gives larger cockpit
+ better maneuverability in dock with twin outboards
+ possibly better ride in rough seas
+ lowered walk around path to and around bow
+ better above deck storage behind helm seat
+ sturdier hull construction
+ cabin layout with sink and shelf for stove
- wide load towing issues
- heavier total weight towing issues
BW 23 Conquest:
+ wife likes the look of whaler than grady, probably because its cabin is further back than grady
+ Euro transom with door- easier to bring larger fish and rare diving/swimming access
+ Folding bench at transom
+ bigger cabin space for couple of guys to crash during 2 day trip
+ rougher but better sea handling (???)
+ hard top with integrated outrigger
+ easier towing due to width and weight
+ large under deck insulated fishbox
+ better fuel economy
+ better setup for 4 stroke repower especially with whaler bracket
- typically setup for single outboards
- thinner less sturdy hull construction
- smaller cockpit
- typically has Merc OB

Reaction score
Rhangrea
I'm a few yrs away from buying my next but but already doing research and considered the same boats as you mentioned. Another one you may want to compare with the Grady's is the Pursuit 2470 WA 1999+.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gulfstream is a great boat. I had one with a single 225 and it would have been nice to have more power, but it got the job done without a problem.
The twin 150s looks like a nice package. I have seen Gulfstreams with twin 200s and it looks like they may be a bit to heavy the way they sit on a mooring. Not sure how they do underway. I am sure since GW has them rated for 400HP they are fine. It must fly with the twins.

Boils down how much the wallet can handle.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Legend...

My 232 has twin 200 four-strokes.. Perfect power..
The scuppers sit underwater at rest, so it is slightly stern-heavy..
It doesn't matter, the water drains out of the cockpit area with no problem.
It cruises at 30-33 MPH getting 1.9 to 2.0 MPG Rev's at 3700-4000 at those speeds.
Some have mentioned to me that I need to increase my cruise speeds..apparently I might be under-turning the 4-strokes. if that is the case, then I would have a 400 HP Gulfstream that would cruise in the mid-to-upper 30's...That isn't shabby for a Grady.

So, to the originator of this thread, the Gulfstream is one rig you wouldn't go wrong with.

Rhangrea

Reaction score
Lucky Strike, MBM
Another one you may want to compare with the Grady's is the Pursuit 2470 WA 1999+.
My broker talked me out of it for quality issues during 90's and 90's hull design. He thought newer Pursuits are good but not 90's.

Legend,
I am actually checking out GW232 with twin 200hp and GW232 with single 225hp. Do you think single 225hp gets better gas mileage than single 250hp or twin 150hp? How bad did it look on GW232 with twin 200hp?

Anyone with Boston Whaler Conquest 23 experience,
How bad is the ride on BW 23 Conquest? few of you have said that here, and few others from my other thread at the other site have mentioned it also. Is BW 23 Conquest ride much more pounding than Gradys? How do they get their reputation if it is so bad? And consequentially, are other boats that much worse than BW?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Rhangrea said:
Lucky Strike, MBM
Another one you may want to compare with the Grady's is the Pursuit 2470 WA 1999+.
My broker talked me out of it for quality issues during 90's and 90's hull design. He thought newer Pursuits are good but not 90's.

Legend,
I am actually checking out GW232 with twin 200hp and GW232 with single 225hp. Do you think single 225hp gets better gas mileage than single 250hp or twin 150hp? How bad did it look on GW232 with twin 200hp?

Anyone with Boston Whaler Conquest 23 experience,
How bad is the ride on BW 23 Conquest? few of you have said that here, and few others from my other thread at the other site have mentioned it also. Is BW 23 Conquest ride much more pounding than Gradys? How do they get their reputation if it is so bad? And consequentially, are other boats that much worse than BW?
I've not owned the 23 Conquest but I did have a 2002 21' Outrage before I bought my 2008 Tournament 225 and let me assure you that the GW is light years ahead of BW when it comes to the ride. My Outrage had what BW considered it's deep vee hull which is more than the Conquest has and the GW is far superior. GW's SeaV 2 hull was designed for them by C. Raymond Hunt Assoc. who pioneered the deep V for Bertram years ago. I recommend you sea trial both before you buy either and I feel it will be obvious to you which one you want. BWs are fine boats, but it's no where near a GW when it comes to ride. Good luck with your search!

larrykobgmd

Reaction score
so just traded in my 1998 gulfstream for a 2007 305 express, I had a single 2 stroke 250 Yamaha smoker, always started, never gave me an issue and other then the experiance of the captain, this boat would have gone anywhere. Got 18,000 for the trade in, a steal ! I could take that boat anywhere from offshore to 1 ft. of water, always easy. good luck