Which Radar Combo for Gulfstream 232?

tboylan

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding radar to my 2007 232 and hope you guys can help me narrow down my search.

Which combos are most recommended and most commonly installed on this class of boat?

What should I expect to pay?

Pros and Cons of different set ups.

Do you guys install your own units? If so, how challenging was the install? Lessons learned?

Thanks!!!!

fellinger

Reaction score
Go to a large West Marine and just try what they have there. I installed a Garmin 7610vsx with 18" HD radar. I am very happy with it. It is easy to use and has all of the features I need and can be easily add upon. I like the ability to have a radar overlay on either my fishing or nav maps or the ability to have a traditional radar scope.

Reaction score
It's getting to be boat show season.
I would recommend visiting the booths at your local boat show and talking to the reps.
I have a Lowrance HDS8 on my boat. Lowrance provides very good bang for your buck. Some of the new 4g radar units have similiar specs to the older open array radars. You can get a Lowrance 3g radar on Amazon right now for $999 that will attach to an existing HDS system seamlessly.
I have used Raymarine products as well and really like their gear.

tboylan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Did you do your own installations?

artodea

Reaction score
I added radar to my Gulfstream last season. I have a SiTex plotter and bought a used radome antenna that simply connects to the plotter on a NMEA0183 channel. I bolted the antenna directly on the hardtop just forward of the hardtop frame which gives it a slight downward angle so that it is generally level when cruising.

IMG_0525_zpso7vkvtc5.jpg

It works great but I can't overlay the radar on the map without a heading sensor - I use the split screen display instead which is all I need. I believe the Garmin and other systems can overlay using heading derived from course over ground - but if you're running slowly at night or in pea soup fog (when you need it the most) you won't have an accurate overlay.

If you don't want/need to integrate into your chartplotter SiTex makes a stand-alone unit (T760) for under $2k that gets good reviews if you have the space for a separate screen dedicated to radar.

- Art

tboylan

Reaction score
artodea said:
I added radar to my Gulfstream last season. I have a SiTex plotter and bought a used radome antenna that simply connects to the plotter on a NMEA0183 channel. I bolted the antenna directly on the hardtop just forward of the hardtop frame which gives it a slight downward angle so that it is generally level when cruising.

IMG_0525_zpso7vkvtc5.jpg

It works great but I can't overlay the radar on the map without a heading sensor - I use the split screen display instead which is all I need. I believe the Garmin and other systems can overlay using heading derived from course over ground - but if you're running slowly at night or in pea soup fog (when you need it the most) you won't have an accurate overlay.

If you don't want/need to integrate into your chartplotter SiTex makes a stand-alone unit (T760) for under $2k that gets good reviews if you have the space for a separate screen dedicated to radar.

Thanks Art. I'd like to find a good used unit like that.

- Art