Which Seafarer, 226 or 228?

Airslot

Reaction score
We've decided that it is time to move up in size. We are going from a Wellcraft V-20 to a Seafarer. We determined that what we wanted was a post '92 228G. With the budget we have we are most likely look at early to mid 90's. When looking at the options, we determined we wanted the bracket, and wanted a hard top because a Radar will be on this boat.

Now for the conundrum...we have come across a good deal on a repowered 226 that is very clean. No bracket, no top. I know that a radar arch will take care of my needs.

Any comments on performance between the 226 & 228?

Thanks in advance.

Airslot

okletsfish

Reaction score
I don`t think there would be a big difference in the performance between the two if powered with the same engine.The one thing I have found with my 228 is that it a bit squirly backing up,but if you trim the engine up a bit it not as bad.The reason I got the 228 was I liked the closed transom.

kendcc

Reaction score
I have a 226, and it's a great boat, period. Having said that, I too would have preferred the closed transom.

All in all though, I'm extremely happy and have no regrets, especially since I got a sweatheart of a deal.

VinMan

Reaction score
I too was looking for either a 226 or 228. I got lucky and found a sweet deal on a 2006 228. I like the closed transom because I have little kids but both have similar performance. Having a centerline livewell is nice too but if you don't have the kid issue, the 226 is the same boat...

Go for it!!!

dan313

Reaction score
I love my 228. I have been on a 226 many times and both boats ride the same. It takes a little getting use to to backing the boat up with the bracket. I like the idea of the closed transom and the live well. The 226 fresh water hose is on the port gunnel mid section. On the 228 it is on the rear gunnel. Better location in my opinion. Also I think the hard top is a great option. I have the life vests stored in the netting and radios in the glove boxes.

Either way you cant go wrong with either boat.
Good Luck,

Lenny

G8RDave

Reaction score
I would think not having the hard top is a bigger deal than the closed versus open transom (unless you have small kids like I do). Having the hard top is a great addition. I can't imagine my boat without it.

Airslot

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. At this point I'm sitting tight, waiting for Mrs. Right to show up. It's a good time to be a buyer, and I'm not boatless, so no need to rush this purchase.

Thanks,

Airslot

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with the hardtop being a necessity. I'm also a big fan of the closed transom, and waited for one specifically when I was looking.

When people fish with me for the first time, they can't believe it's a 22' boat. The "square" cockpit area leaves a lot of room to fish!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned both...sold my 228 without a hardtop for a 226 with a hardtop after the skin doctor told me that my boating would be severely limited in the future if I didn't make an effort to get out of the sun....

The 228 was quieter (the full transom acts as a noise barrier) and ran faster at the top end (makes sense with 500 lbs of weight and less wind resistance.) The 226 was more maneuverable in close quarters, and had a motor well with the flip up door. The flip door was a PITA, as you had to remember to flip it down when you tilted the motor up. Also, if your marina/dry stack charges by the foot, you have another 3-4' off the back.

You really can't go wrong with either one...if I had to do it again, I'd probably do a 228 with the hardtop.