whirring sound coming from cuddy of my seafarer

ADB

Reaction score
Hi - I got on my boat this am and noticed a low whirring sound coming from inside under seat storage area inside cuddy cabin of my seafarer. I looked inside and could did not notice anything. I believe there is a bilge pump in there and that is where sound is coming from. I took boat out for a few hours and it kept running. And still is. Do these pumps every short out? Any advice appreciate. Boat is dry and pumps and sound is not pumps running.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There's a bilge pump inside the cabin that's accessible through an inspection cover in the deck. If it's not the bilge pump you could have an issue with your trim tab pump. That's located on the starboard side in the storage compartment.

The only other motor located in the cabin area would be the macerator (if you have one installed) but I seriously doubt it would be making a low whirring sound.

I can't believe the bilge pump would run too long if dry.

Good luck locating the problem.

ADB

Reaction score
It is definately fowd bilge pump

Now runs as soon as I turn battery on. I did not notice any thing clogging pump. Not sure where the switch is - did not notice any thing that looked like a float switch.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Some pumps have internal float switches. If you can't find and external switch, that may be the case here.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would disconnect the power to the pump to see if the whirring sound goes away. That would confirm or eliminate the pump as the problem.

ahill

Reaction score
Check the pump switch at the electric panel. Could be you have the switch turned to on instead of standby. That would explain the pump being off when batt is off. On stanby the pump wil be activated by the float switch even with the batt off.
I chased a similar sound on my Sailfish. Was sure it was the aft bilge pump but turned out to be a loss of prime on my SW washdown pump.

seasick

Reaction score
ahill said:
Check the pump switch at the electric panel. Could be you have the switch turned to on instead of standby. That would explain the pump being off when batt is off. On stanby the pump wil be activated by the float switch even with the batt off.
I chased a similar sound on my Sailfish. Was sure it was the aft bilge pump but turned out to be a loss of prime on my SW washdown pump.
Yup, not the float.
It could be loss of prime for fresh water pump too. Screen may be plugged.
Turn off all breakers/switches and then turn on one by one till you hear the sound.

ADB

Reaction score
Thanks -its definately fwd bildge

Will check switches. Suspect something is clogging inside of pump