Who do you have your boat insured through?

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Chubb. They just covered the cost of my transom rebuild after an email argument. My policy covered manufacturer defects.
Wow manufacturers defect on a 14 year old boat ... That's amazing ! Was that a coverage (manufacturers defects) that you could add to the policy or was it packaged that way ?

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
State Farm. I have our homeowners and automobile thru them so I get a discount on all three. I never really shopped around because our agent is a personal friend and when we have a claim his service is exemplary.
Nice to see some loyalty, friend or not. If you have a good agent you can always speak with them regarding rates and availability. In this competitive market many insurers initiate new pools within their company to stay competitive freeing themselves of loss experience in the older ones, especially when it comes to auto and home.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I purchased my house 5 years ago tomorrow actually, and have always had Traveler's Insurance for my home, cars and previous boats. Well... I called them up to insure my new to me 2004 GW 228 Seafarer and they said they'll only insure it for the purchase price of the vessel and not the agreed upon value of the vessel. The previous two boats I've owned were both 21' Arima's and the case was very different then. With those two boats, I told them the purchase price as well as what I thought the value of the boat/trailer/equipment was as well and never had an issue. The customer service rep said simply that they don't do that anymore, of which I think that's a bit insane since boat/home/car values differ incredibly throughout the country. Anyway, who do you have your boat insured through and who would you recommend? Or better yet, who wouldn't you recommend? I've seen or heard of more than a few on here with Boat US? Sounds like they're pretty decent to deal with? Thanks again and would love to hear your opinions as I definitely couldn't ever replace my boat in the event of a total loss for only $26.5k. Thanks!
What amount do they cover for loss or damage to others property or medical ?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
USAA - Progressive . Love them. when my new Yamaha motor was stolen after just 8 hours of time they stepped up and replaced it. Great service .Good rates .

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I'm not exactly sure... I'd have to look that up.
Reason I ask is because I was watching one of those “boat fails” clips where a newbie yacht owner blasted past a marina rocking the hell out of all the boats in it and apparently prompted a number of insurance claims. Granted that’s extreme but I got to thinking what if I zig when I should zag and someone comes after me for a repair bill ?
;)

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have it through Markel. It is an agreed value policy. They adjusted it down once as the boat is a 2006 and the amount seems sufficient to replace it with one of the same vintage. Would not cover a new one though.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reason I ask is because I was watching one of those “boat fails” clips where a newbie yacht owner blasted past a marina rocking the hell out of all the boats in it and apparently prompted a number of insurance claims. Granted that’s extreme but I got to thinking what if I zig when I should zag and someone comes after me for a repair bill ?
;)
That's one of the many reasons why I don't like leaving my boat stored in a marina overnight, even worse yet would be long term. I've seen way too many YouTube videos of guys that can't dock a boat, come racing in much too quickly and sideswipe multiple boats in their path. I even saw a guy do that in person at a local marina with an older Grady White with twin motors on it. He was coming in to dock parallel and there was a boat in front of him and one behind him but the motor kept turning off and was smoking like crazy. He tried it at least 3-4 times and sideswiped a couple of boats as well as backed into another one. Finally I went over there and spotted/fended him off as he docked the boat, once again at much too high a rate of speed. He had what looked to be his wife and daughter on the boat with him and was very much stressed out over the whole thing. It was earlier in the season and maybe he was just rusty from not having practiced all winter as well as the motors smoking and shutting off at a low rate of speed. Either way, I saw enough to not want to leave a nice boat moored in a marina all night. Even if it's in a relatively protected slip... no thanks.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That's one of the many reasons why I don't like leaving my boat stored in a marina overnight, even worse yet would be long term. I've seen way too many YouTube videos of guys that can't dock a boat, come racing in much too quickly and sideswipe multiple boats in their path. I even saw a guy do that in person at a local marina with an older Grady White with twin motors on it. He was coming in to dock parallel and there was a boat in front of him and one behind him but the motor kept turning off and was smoking like crazy. He tried it at least 3-4 times and sideswiped a couple of boats as well as backed into another one. Finally I went over there and spotted/fended him off as he docked the boat, once again at much too high a rate of speed. He had what looked to be his wife and daughter on the boat with him and was very much stressed out over the whole thing. It was earlier in the season and maybe he was just rusty from not having practiced all winter as well as the motors smoking and shutting off at a low rate of speed. Either way, I saw enough to not want to leave a nice boat moored in a marina all night. Even if it's in a relatively protected slip... no thanks.
Yup, agreed.
This is where I “slip” my boat.
506285E0-FE6E-4A87-8721-6E9D293D9706.jpeg