Who Has Battled the Lower Bearing Carrier?

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm one of the few to have finally won a week's long battle with a lower bearing carrier, 2007 F250TXR.

I tried the Marine Tech puller first. That is a heavy tool and I thought it would handle my salt encrusted carrier. Nope. Of course I had Kroil soaking over night on the parts I could spray. The right jaw kept slipping off, and so I reached out to Marine Tech to gather if they thought a slight grind on the jaw for a better hold would weaken the jaw. They said to give it a shot, if it broke they would replace it under warranty.

By this time I had bought a MAPP gas burner. I tried heat and had ground a half moon shape in the jaws of the tool for a better hold. I put some serious torque on the puller with a Milwaukie torque gun and then a large wrench. POP!

The jaw broke, but higher than where I had ground.

I also had a slide hammer and bought the Marine Tech adaptor from the prop shaft to the slide. I tried that just to see how it might work out but had no success, with heat or not.

I also had a puller that would remove the prop shaft with the carrier. This puller was from Outboard Specialty Tools. This is a heavy duty puller as well. I tried this puller with both an impact driver and a large wrench. I added heat and a rubber mallet on the outside of the case. I put so much pressure on the castle nut that I stripped the brass off. No movement.

So now I'm not only trying Kroil and Freeze Off with the heat, I'm trying LimeAway on the surfaces I can access. I see some bubbles from the LimeAway and try again. No movement.

I made a thin blade from some narrow spring steel and could dig out crud on the small crack between the case and carrier.

After setting up, I used Freeze Off, then heat while using the puller and using the Marine Tech adaptor to also use the slide hammer. I'd slide the hammer 3 times and suddenly I could turn the puller nut 1/8th a turn. 3 slaps, 1/8th a turn for what seemed like 15 minutes. Finally I could actually see the carrier move.

Success!

So no secret weapon other than patience. This all took place over 2 weeks. And Marine Tech sent me a replacement arm for their puller and a set of their heavier arms.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out I had removed the shift shaft and water tube. I found the bearing and the gears to be in excellent condition. I guess all those gear lube changes did pay off.

Attachments

• 20221208_113317.jpg
    20221208_113317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20221206_170806.jpg
    20221206_170806.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: cosmic

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congrats on the win.
Why did you need to remove it?

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm also curious as to why you are working on the lower unit. I also have a 2007 LF250TXR and the lower unit got fried at the end of the season - braided fishing line was wrapped between the propeller and the shaft seals. The unit was bone dry when I pulled it, no oil, no water.

That's a number of special tools you've acquired for the job. Between the price for parts and the tools, is it cost effective to rebuild the unit?

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I started to remove the bearing carrier to simply change out the large O rings and seals. I've also changed the drive ahaft seals and the gear shift seals. This is all tied into my water pump routine.

I'm selling the boat in the spring and I want it as bullet proof for the next owner as possible. I'll be replacing the four dampeners as well, have to remove the powerhead to do that. That will give me a chance to either redo the oil pump seals or just change the oil pump.

Cost of tools? I guess I'm a collector.

I'm probably the guy you want to buy stuff from. Just how I am.

I bought a new bearing carrier and couple of bearings just in case I destroyed the old one. I like to have parts on the shelf. And I like to learn new procedures. You may have guessed I'm retired with lots of time.

Photo of the shift shaft seals. I no longer have the upper bearing carrier or the seals. I replaced those with new parts.20221127_131929.jpg

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow, thats a lot of maintenance on a boat you're selling! Very thorough, and way above my technical level.

Quick question, when you remove and install the lower unit, do you leave the shifter in Neutral, or do you have it in gear? It would seem that as long as you put it back however it came out (neutral/neutral or forward/forward), it should be fine. Seems like you've done this a few times so would value your advice.

seasick

Reaction score
Wow, thats a lot of maintenance on a boat you're selling! Very thorough, and way above my technical level.

Quick question, when you remove and install the lower unit, do you leave the shifter in Neutral, or do you have it in gear? It would seem that as long as you put it back however it came out (neutral/neutral or forward/forward), it should be fine. Seems like you've done this a few times so would value your advice.
The gear position for removal and installation depends on the specific lower unit make and model

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's right, and as stated in the thread the OP and I have the exact same unit, 2007 F250TXR. Thus my question to the OP.

seasick

Reaction score
Missed that...
I usually leave the shifter in neutral during removal but sometimes for assembly, I will shift both the control and the lower unit into a gear (it doesn't matter but both the same) if the drive shaft splines don't want to line up.

It is also possible to rotate the flywheel a tad to line up the splines. That is easier with the plugs removed.

Last edited:

Meanwhile

Reaction score

If just removing the lower unit, I have it in neutral. On my model to remove the prop shaft you remove both the shifter and a water pipe.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Meanwhile, thanks. I recently downloaded the Service Manual for the 2007 F250 and it states the gear shifter should be in the Neutral position when removing and installing the lower unit. I'm in good shape now.

Reactions: Meanwhile