who's looking out for boaters?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just saw a piece on Lindsay Graham wanting to increase gas taxes 15 cents a gallon to fund building wind turbines and fight global warming. Never mind we are in a huge recession and our income went down 3% since Obama took office.

So I am wondering, who is looking out for us? I am a member of Boat US in part because of West Marine's discount card program. Do they lobby? Are they effective? All of y'all in South Caro need to call Lindsay's office and voice your concerns.

Should I call Boat US? Anyway, it seems everyone else has a special interest, why not us? Just sayn...

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Bob. Yes, Boat U.S. Foundation is one of the more active lobbyists for boaters. When you pay your annual member dues there is a box to contribute to the foundation.

Also, I suspect that SC would have a fairly strong marine industry association that would be directing boaters into an organized response?

Rob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I guess I am feeling some pain and in fear due to our sluggish economy about fuel costs and people willing to travel. Selfishly, I don't want pay any more for fuel to fish.

jdsmith

Reaction score
Don't forget that you can get a credit for gas you purchase for your boat. Of the many taxes that comprise the total cost of a gallon of fuel, one is a "Highway Use" tax. I believe the credit is 17 cents a gallon for gas purchased for boat use. I'll probably have the IRS all over my butt now for sharing this issue!!!

Stonewall

Reaction score
jdsmith said:
Don't forget that you can get a credit for gas you purchase for your boat. Of the many taxes that comprise the total cost of a gallon of fuel, one is a "Highway Use" tax. I believe the credit is 17 cents a gallon for gas purchased for boat use. I'll probably have the IRS all over my butt now for sharing this issue!!!

Not in Maryland you don't! They screw you every way they can and give nothing back.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
I just saw a piece on Lindsay Graham wanting to increase gas taxes 15 cents a gallon to fund building wind turbines and fight global warming. Never mind we are in a huge recession and our income went down 3% since Obama took office.

So I am wondering, who is looking out for us? I am a member of Boat US in part because of West Marine's discount card program. Do they lobby? Are they effective? All of y'all in South Caro need to call Lindsay's office and voice your concerns.

Should I call Boat US? Anyway, it seems everyone else has a special interest, why not us? Just sayn...

Any of you SC folks know why Lindsey Graham is suddenly a sell out? Is he up this year, too?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
jdsmith said:
It varies by state. For example when I called the KY Dept of Revenue they said an individual could not apply for the tax rebate. In KY they give the rebate to the marina or seller of the fuel used for marine activities with the assumption that the seller will pass it along to the consumer in the form of a lower price per gallon. How's that for great government logic?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The report said fuel tax increase, mentioned nothing of road tax versus off road...the rub is Graham is proposing to use the revenue to subsidized wind turbine energy production. On Monday I am calling is office and voicing my concern as an American after all he is a US Senator from SC, while I may not or can not vote for him, I sure as heck can send a small check to his future conservative/libertarian opponent oneday. I will make this point clear.

His assumptions are climate change is caused by man made carbon. Wonder how much carbon dioxide that volcano is cranking out right now, too bad we cant tax volcanoes or at least the govts with big volcanoes on their soil? We can call it an erruption tax... :lol: Speaking of the volcano, if the erruption last longer we can expect a slightly cooler year due to the particulate materials suspended in the upper atmosphere and the sunsets could be especially romantic this year. Might be a good year to take the admiral on a few sunset cruises... :wink:

rbutterworth

Reaction score
That tax is nothing, wait until cap and trade....this government (both sides) really doesn't want you out on the water.....they want you to purchase imported seafood, and eat it in your kitchen, with climate control controlled by them....they don't want you to drive far to work, or eat salt.....boating is definently going to be a luxury item.....and yes, this economy really stinks too.....