Why are Grady Whites darker than other boats?

whit

Reaction score
I'm wondering why does Grady White use a darker tan color for the hull when most other manufacturers go with pure white. Is pure white an option if you order a Grady?

striped bass

Reaction score
The ivory color is easier to maintain and keep up. Also the ivory color is easier to match for repairs. Also, the glare from sun on the deck of a pure white boat will pull your eyes right out its sockets after a few hours in the glaring summer sun. Even with sunglasses the sun glare is hard on the eyes.

whit

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If you order new, do you get to choose from lighter or darker shades of ivory, or is it 1 color for all boats?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you go Ivory, its only one shade. But, GW has started offering colored Gelcoat (external)...I think its available now in Blue, Yellow or Gray.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The new 2011 catalog lists sun light yellow, sea foam green, sky blue and slate blue. This is for the hull only, the rest of the boat is our beloved ivory.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've observed on several early 2000 year boats that the color tends to lighten overtime in the sun. Then again, I could be the one that got too much sun.....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you want a boat equal to Grady as a premium level production boat, with white color gel coat, get a Boston Whaler.

bc282

Reaction score
prior to my 282 GW Sailfish i had a 622 Campion W/A (22') which was bright white and looked great, but was very hard on the eyes on sunny days.
i much prefer the Grady 'creme/cream' color and it is what makes Grady's unique.
i'm very surprised to hear Grady now offering colored hull sides as an option as remember somewhere hearing that Eddie Smith vowed that a new Grady would never the leave the factory floor with any other color but 'grady cream'.

sling

Reaction score
The new colors are painted on the hull, so maybe they leave the factory cream and get painted elsewhere :mrgreen:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Wait a minute, the new colors are painted? Correct me if I am wrong, but paint peels, scratches and so forth. Why not take their gelcoat blend and add colorant to it? I like the creme color, but the admiral likes the baby blue and sea foam greens of other boats