Why did Grady make the 326 and other models on the 32 foot hull?

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I just finished studying the Grady-White web site to try to figure this out. I just don't understand why GW developed the 32 hull. It is very close to the 30 foot hull in centerline length, with most of the additional length in the swim platforms. The beam is just a couple of inches bigger. While it is 1500 pounds heavier, I don't see much benefit in that. Photos of the interior space seem almost identical. Meanwhile, if you want a boat that is bigger than the 306, the 336 is right there. I hope to compare them all at the boat show in February, but the dealer may not bring all three models. So I thought perhaps one of you may know of any specific reason why GW went through the expense and effort to develop this model.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing to better match with outboard HP (trip 300s for instance, the other two are 700HP max) and to ensure no gap in the line to keep customers (and Yamaha) happy.

Last edited:

TinkerinMatt

Reaction score
My guess is the demand for swim platforms for the “family fisherman”. The 10.5’ beam of the 307 was barely not enough with twins, while the 335 was too heavy for twin 300s with the discontinuation of the 350s even though it has enough beam if the twin 350s were still available. Yamaha hasn’t come out with a 350 replacement yet, so to meet customer demand they slotted an entirely new boat in between the 2 that was light enough for twin 300s, but wide enough for swim platforms. The new 335 transom is wider than the older ones to fit trip 300s since the 350s were discontinued, which wouldn’t allow space for swim platforms in the mold. There’s a 335 at a broker near me with twin 350s and it’s next to a 275, and it is MASSIVE compared to the 275. There’s no way you could push a 335 with twin 300s at any reasonable speed or acceleration.

All that being said, if I had the money and a lift to store it, I’m the type of family fisherman who would choose the 325 over the 335 or 307, especially if I could repower one with the new v10 mercurys….

Last edited:

moklodge01

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The 335 and 336 were introduced at a time when no competitors had boats that size featuring cabins. As time went by, competitors saw the opportunity to offer boats with narrower beams and fewer features at appreciably lower prices. G/W was then stuck with either a 30 foot boat that was smaller than the competition's 32/33 footers or a 33 footer that was $100K more. Fact is, many customers wanted a larger than 30 foot boat but did not need the cabin so Grady was missing a like boat at a competitive price for those buyers. Hence the 325 and 326. G/W did use this opportunity to create a new SeaV2 hull with astonishingly better efficiency while they were at it though. The 32 gets the same fuel economy as the 30 while also having a larger fuel tank. The 326 offers over 400 miles of range. That's the longest range of any G/W made to date.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
hehe, my 2000 265 express has a range over 400:p
Agreed. I've got the performance bulletin on my Grady White 228 Seafarer of which it says the "Optimum Cruise" is @ 4,300 rpm while doing 31.2 mph, burning 10.3 GPH and getting 3.03 MPG. With a standard 92 gallon fuel tank on the 228 Seafarer as well as with the extra 56 gallon auxiliary tank, that would be a total of 148 gallons, times 3.03 MPG and a total range of almost 450 miles. I'm sure with a Yamaha F250 or maybe even one of the newer models with an F300, it would probably even get better fuel economy. Though of course those numbers are likely in perfect or ideal conditions, which we obviously don't always get the luxury of having.

Last edited:

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
The 326's length doesn't include the swim platforms (it's 33 with them). The 326 CC has 2" more beam and three across seating versus the 306 CC. As stated above, more fuel capacity.

The 336 CC is a massive compared to the 306.

The real reason they introduced the 326 is because I bought a 306 and they know all about my twofootitis.

tbuss

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
I just took delivery of a new Freedom 325 so I guess I am the target market for these boats. I did feel the the 307 and 325 were very similar in size and performance. My primary attraction to the 325 over the others is the full height windshield that it offers. (Mine has the new AV2 hardtop they just introduced and it looks amazing.) I’m in Maine and we use the forward and side enclosures all season.

But beyond just that feature, I felt that the 325 was a bit more modern and refined. I particularly felt that the helm layout was greatly improved, with my MFDs high on the dash, right below my line of sight, and the switches out of the way but within easy reach.

The “berth” in the starboard console was a big improvement over the older design where it’s incorporated into the port side head compartment. If I (or realistically, kids) am going to spend any time in that tiny space I’d rather not share it with a toilet.

And I really like the swim platforms. I moved up from a Freedom 235, and on that smaller package the extra space when anchored and swimming was substantial. Not the smartest idea, but we did use the swim platforms for landing fish. And the pop up ski pylon makes a great handle if you’re back there and moving from one side to the other.

So I was easily sold on the 325. It’s perfect for me. I didn’t even look at pricing for a 307.

As for the 335, that’s a whole other animal. There’s a new one right next to mine while they’re having electronics installed, and the “1 ft” size difference is substantial. As well as the weight, and the $cost. At that point I’d start to consider a 330 Express instead.

tbuss

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
OK, after all that, my point is that I think it allowed Grady to introduce a newer “from the ground up,” modern design to better compete with new boats from Pursuit, BW, etc

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Thanks for all the responses. As to size, the 326 is less than a foot longer than the 306. The swim platforms make up most of the two extra feet. I did notice that the 326 hull is a slightly deeper V. As for the interior configuration, it seems to me they could have offered that treatment on the 30 foot hull, but I understand they don't and you like the 32 layout better. I guess they could have just replaced the 30 with the new 32 hull and just offered the swim platforms as an optional configuration, but I guess they would still need two molds to offer the two configurations. I think I have a better understanding of the reasoning. Thanks again for your comments.