Why do I have to spend an arm and a leg to get a seat?

2ndChance

Reaction score
1993 Adventure 208. Boat is in good shape. Time to retire the original seats, which were of average quality to begin with. I want a comfy seat and am looking at ladder-backs from Todd, etc. I’m thinking I may be crowding the helm with two of these, no way to know for sure. Anyone put the bigger ladder backs in a 208?

I just can't believe I have to spend upwards of $800 for two seats with sliders. I mean, what are we talking about - a couple of pieces of high-grade plastic with vinyl cushions? I’ll pay someone on here a decent price to make them for me! Anyone?

I did see one for $249 from West marine; it’s a WISE captain’s chair with padded arm rests. I seem to recall seeing many of these with ripped vinyl seats and water-logged foam. Can anyone confirm on quality?

Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Hmmm, 'average' quality lasted at least 18 years. Buy a seat shell and use the same hardware ... :uhm

ahill

Reaction score
I'd suggest visiting marine liquidating co.'s, marine flea markets such as Dania coming up this month or internet.

2ndChance

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. These are the same brand seats that I had on my 18 Angler, so yes, I would definately say below average quality. The sliders are badly oxidized - typical of low grade aluminum. Should have relaced them a while back, but it wasn't in the budget :uhm

timberxx

Reaction score
I hear ya with the seat prices. I have a molded captains chair on my 205. I wanted to slat type, and was quoted the same $800. I posted online and went to the source company, but still too expensive.

I'm keeping an eye out for a used one, knowing I would have to re cover it.

Cheers

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced my seats several years ago with Wise seats that I bought at Boater's World when they were around. My 1988 Overnighter has limited space at the helm and I found some "ladder back" style chairs and cushions that have worked very well. I did remove the arm rests. I think they were about 4150 each.

Did a search for Wise seats and found these. I do not know anything about the vendor.

http://www.boatdepot.com/productdetails ... D431AR-710

2ndChance

Reaction score
thanks fellas. I think I am going to be limited by the space at the helm. the wise seats might fit the bill, but at 22" wide, not sure. I'll measure up and we'll see.