Why doesn't GW use "tinned" wire?

HMBJack

Reaction score
This is my only disappointment with these boats. Anyone know why? Seems like a no brainer.
Discovered this recently on my 2003 265's fuel sender wiring (had "black wire" from water intrusion).

jethro99

Reaction score
Only GW knows for sure (why not contact them) but my guess that it is the result of a cost versus benefit analysis.

The design team must have thought that non-tinned wire would meet their objectives, and it must be doing so since they continue to use non-tinned wire. Could they have used a more corrosion resistant wire? Yes, but would the benefit have equalled or exceeded the added cost? It appears that the answer is no.

Most GW owners seem to prefer their boats with non-tinned wire over other brands that use tinned wire.

seabob4

Reaction score
Once you got past the dreaded "black", was the wire tinned? Tinned wire as well can suffer corrosion, just not as quickly as bare copper.

Unless there are others that can verify that the wire that GW used and still uses isn't tinned...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady wire was coated, not bare copper. The coating was not as good as tinned, but less expensive.

I've never seen tin corrode.

The coated wire holds up well. If you can bend back and forth what you call black and it doesn't break, it is not corroded. If not, just take some 100 plus grit paper to wire and sand off coating to bright copper if you want to make a connection, then seal it well. For exposure, the shrinks with glue inside are the best. I also use liquid tape at times.

if it was bare copper being exposed wet even for a short period of time, the copper would no longer exist, just a plastic jacket, even well into the length.

There are some sites with quality marrine wire, at rediculous low prices, genuinedealz comes to mind. Including heat shrinks, connectors, etc.