Why Grady, going to the factory

Ed Aye

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my now sold Hydra-Sports Vector. I liked the beamy feel & heavy stable ride of the H-S. Thinking of the 306 and would like to hear the top items of why Grady. I have seen the videos and I will visit the factory when the virus allows. I AM INTERESTED MOST SPECIFICALLY IN THINGS THAT CAN''T DETERMINE BY LOOKING AT A NEW BOAT. Are there particular things you think I should consider that are common to the Gradys, for example, better securing and reinforcement of cleats, same for T-top fastening to the deck, how the tank(s) are secured to prevent corrosion, testing of their resins & glass materials, fastening of the boats major components together, types of backing plates used, resin types used, resin system used to reduce blistering, general workmanship on items one can't see later,...

I have been on Gradys before; I will sea trial after the factory visit.

Thanks in advance.

Fishtales

Reaction score
How the transom is put together and why screws and cosmetic parts cover the seam.
Are they using balsa coring on the hull sides?
Are they using wood on deck panels?
Feel around below the cockpit in areas under the decks and see if finished properly.
Wiring neat in harnesses and staked down neat, clean and secure?

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
Same company since the start and customer relations second to none. I've been able to get information and support for the 1994 228G, 1999 232G, and 2000 232G I've had. Try doing that with a brand that's been passed around like a cheap whore between corporate investment groups who only care about the $$$.

Reactions: Summertop511

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you like the way that the hydrasports ride and handle in the 30ft class boats, then you will love how the grady rides.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Vector series hydros are very well built hulls. As for Grady when your at the factory ask them to show you under the bang plate. Horrible under there. Only thing I have to say bad about them.

Truly great customer service which I believe is key. They still care about their old boats. If you enjoy the ride quality and performance numbers and can afford it then go for it.

cant speak for customer service but fish a lot on a 2015 29 yellowfin and that is a rock solid no spray or bang well built boat

capeguy

Reaction score
Service and dealers are top. One thing I think sets GW apart is the layout of the boat. Very well thought through, efficient use of space, best in my opinion. the fold down seat aft is also a major difference. The design enables them to do much more with the transom fish box and the available space than others. Look at other boats aft bench, often in a metal box or other mechanical contraption that is heavy, takes a lot of space, and you bang your knees on metal. It is a big difference maker that is overlooked.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We have bought three new Gradys. One of the things you won't fully see at the factory or at all on a test ride is that they will not let you be unhappy after the sale.

One of experience that made a lasting impression is when our local dealer invited about thirty couples who had bought their boats several years ago out to dinner. Turns out Grady president Kris Carroll was there with some staff. After dinner she asked each of us what we would like to see changed about our boats - what didn't we like. Of course we all started raving about our Grady's. Ms. Carroll interrupted us and said she didn't buy us dinner to pat herself on the back. She was there to to hear critical feedback. At that, she got what she wanted and her staff opened their notebooks and started writing.