Why'd this have to be a Grady?

Fishtales

Reaction score
wow.. can't believe you would leave it. i wonder if it was stolen?

Dogfish

Reaction score
Ok, watched video and agree whoever was driving the trailer was an idiot but....
Who is commenting on this video (speaking of idiots). By no means am I wealthy but what does that have to do with being stupid? I've and seen plenty of poor or rich people do or say dumb
Things (such as use the term " boaterman").

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Narrator appears to be extremely jealous, and makes a lot of assumptions. Is a pretty ignorant act though, especially if owner did this. :<><

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Fishtales said:
wow.. can't believe you would leave it. i wonder if it was stolen?
I don't think he had much choice but to leave it. I must have been painful to have to walk away knowing that half of what you left was going to get lifted in the night. Its another kind of "walk of shame" knowing he made a stupid mistake. Its like you only hit the dock when there are people around to witness it, but all things considered I think this is worse. I'm sure the insurance company will make it right though.
I wonder if his wife was there? That would have made it better. :roll:

As for the commentator, he makes one true assumption, if you can afford a new Grady, you probably have money.
I picked mine up under $7,000 and put another $2,000 in to make her seaworthy. When the motor went I grabbed another used one for $2,250. At a bit over $11,000 into it that's still a far cry from the $60 - $70,000 that the new 20' walkarounds go for, but some folks still assume that because I have a Grady I have money. I don't like or want that, I wanted a good solid sea worthy boat not a status symbol. Mind you I'm not poor, I busted my butt, stuck my neck out (literally not financially) and now have enough of a pension to retire on.
Yes definitely, the commentator did have some personal issues but I do know where he's coming from.
One of my own pet peeves is the guy who never rode a bike before goes out and buys the biggest most expensive Harley and now he's a biker.
The same goes for boats. This isn't true for everyone but I've got to say that I'm personally more comfortable with someone that has paid their dues and worked their way up.
Mike.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Dogfish said:
I've and seen plenty of poor or rich people do or say dumb
Things (such as use the term " boaterman").
It all depends on where you live. In a given local it's how you say it. It's only becomes dumb when you bring somewhere else.
Goes both ways.
I've got in-laws in Georgia. Years back they were Red Necks I was that Yankee cop. We both know better now and are true family.
Mike.

Dogfish

Reaction score
I don't care where you live, the term boaterman is not in the dictionary. I don't care if you can afford a $300 k boat or you built your boat with sticks and string you don't take a video and trash someone for doing something stupid over and over and over. The narrator of the video is the "jackass" here, not the dumb guy that got his boat stuck (I kind of feel bad for him). Especially, like one person said, if his wife was with him at the time. Must have made everything better..... :bang
Just my 2 cents. BTW, Mike I love Farmingdale :D

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Boaterman. n ...a rich dude with little common sense and buys a nice power boat. A man who owns a boat. A term used by envious people about boat owners who are boatless themselves.

It is in the dictionary now. ;-)

The narrator is not a cool guy. He is likely a product of the everybody gets a trophy and we don't keep score in youth soccer generation. The guy or gal owning the Grady appears based on the evidence not very smart. You don't pull into a place you think you have clearance at any kind of speed. I'd he or she had a companion who was not blind or disabled they should have gotten out of the tow vehicle and spotted for the drive to verify clearance. It is what I do in these situations. Has not failed me yet. Then again I am not boaterman.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Given some thought to how this could have happened I figure its either due to a long day and to much social lubricant or a long day and a serious brain fart attributed to habit as he may have taken the old boat, the one he traded in for the Grady, the one without a hardtop that went through that carwash dozens of times before. Habit + brainfart = web wide shame
Gone are the days you can get away with a dumb mistake with short lived shame. Cell phones at the ready and youtube compatable we'd all better be on our game at the boat ramp or we wear it forever. :roll:
Mike.

HBSteve

Reaction score
I'll bet it wasn't actually the Grady owner that did it........it was the guy's brother-in-law !!! The In-Laws are always to blame when something like that goes wrong. (Please don't tell my wife I posted this)