Will 115v Outlet Power Window AC?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thinking of temporarily placing a 5,000 BTU window AC unit at cabin entry and plugging it into boat's 115v outlet, while on shore power, of course. AC unit says it runs at 4.6 amps with "a low power start up". Boat's outlets are protected with 15 amp fuses. Theoretically, should this work?

Would use this for cruising Gulf Coast in the fall and Great Lakes in the summer, so thinking that 5,000 BTU should be sufficient to cool 282 in those conditions?

Also thinking of adding some sectional boat covers, i.e. from top to gunnels, port, starboard, fore and aft, to keep direct sunlight off cabin when tied up for the day.

Space above above AC unit and below hatch would be insulated with craft-style Styrofoam (doesn't crumble) makeshift doorway, make to look somewhat nice. So, other than looking like Sanford and Son's place (and costing about as much), would it work?

Tx, Rob

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Electrically, yes, it will be totally fine. How functional it will be comes down to how well you seal it. But sure, go for it. Sanford & Sons... nice! :)

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Still thinking about ducting. But haven't come up with a practical application yet? Mostly because window units take in room air and expel cool air.

Some problematic discs will limit how many times I'll want to move this unit.

That thought led me to thinking about the 'stand-up' portable units that go inside the room and ducting to the boat's side windows. Seems like the single hose units are too inefficient. But a more efficient two-hose model would be more in the way and more importantly, have higher amperage draw. But it wouldn't have that 'Sandford and Son' look! And it might have some use at home.

Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Google for Cruisair Carry-On air conditioner. I don't think they make it anymore, but you can sometimes find them on ebay or Craigslist. It simply sets down into your cabin deck hatch. A couple friends used to have them and they work great.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wouldn't recommend Cruisair for anyone with back problems. I have used a portable in my garage at the coast for several years, with good results. I have often thought that it would be the solution to a cruising boat w/o air. Minimize the exhaust run, or use an insulated duct. Not sure what you mean by one hose, or two.
Additionally, I can use it to cool the bedroom, if I ever arrive at the coast, and the AC is down.

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ive used a portable AC unit on my 282 Sailfish. Vented out the port window. Worked well enough to keep the cabin cool to sleep at night, however it takes up valuable floor space.

seasick

Reaction score
Cruiseair is now Dometic.
They have a bolt on deck/roof mounted unit that doesn't need and ducting but you have to have a hole in the roof of the cabin for it to be mounted in. Kind of reminds me od some RV units.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ive used a portable AC unit on my 282 Sailfish. Vented out the port window. Worked well enough to keep the cabin cool to sleep at night, however it takes up valuable floor space.

Mind if I ask how you powered the portable unit and if you recall its BTU rating?

Tx, Rob

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mind if I ask how you powered the portable unit and if you recall its BTU rating?

Tx, Rob
I plugged it into the outlet in the cabin, while connected to shore power. It was an 8k BTU and worked great.