windlass anchor does not park in correct position

Gary L

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Just took delivery on a new 285 Freedom....the windlass anchor when parked, is up against the boat. Is there an adjustment or do I have some wrong parts applied?

seasick

Reaction score
We need a photo. Need to know anchor type and size and how it is rigged on that hull Other than the weight, a picture will answer most questions.

Gary L

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
This shows the anchor tip all the way against the boat hull

Attachments

• Grady Anchor.jpg
    Grady Anchor.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
looks like the side brackets are adjustable. maybe loosen and rotate clockwise. Or maybe longer brackets???

seasick

Reaction score
Maybe adjustment is possible. I don't have experience with the hull fitting. That said, the anchor is pulled in too tight. The underside of the anchor shank should be laying on the roller and it isn't. See if there is a way to move the anchor roller hardware forward so that the anchor stops before it starts ti lift off the roller. For wow, let out a little line. It is better if the anchor is a tad loose as opposed to rubbing up against the fiberglass.

Can you see the weight stamped on the anchor shaft? It is a number that is usually the weight in kilograms ( sometimes in pounds). I am curious if the anchor is too big for the boat but at first glance it doesn't seem to be.

seasick

Reaction score
I also can't tell if it is a stainless claw or a stainless Delta anchor. The recommended size varies a bit for each type.

Forgot to say, Good luck with the boat!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks to be a stainless Delta to me. The tip is hitting the chrome hull protector (whatever it is called). I don't see a lot that can be done except for a different anchor or some type of protection. I've used the adhesive backed velcro and put small pieces where things can bang with nice success. I've installed in on the transom where the fold up ladder comes down on the gelcoat and where the bottom plastic feet on the ladder last rung can bang into the notched area where the ladder stores. You may be able to put a piece where the tip lands? I'd also talk to the dealer and see what his recommendation is. You can't be the first with this issue.

On a replacement anchor... I just installed the same anchor. It is a relatively small anchor for it's size #22 so not sure you will find a smaller one for the boat. A claw style may be shorter though. That anchor is shy of $800 and not sure what others are offered in stainless.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree on all your points but still wonder if the anchor when stowed should be riding off of the roller.

Reactions: Halfhitch

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You have a plow style anchor, and yes, it should fit better than that. Those feet are the problem. They should rotated (the port side CW and the stbd side CCW). I'm not sure if there's another hole in the "chute", though... which means drilling... or getting new "feet" and drilling those.

HOWEVER... the fix should be a simple "Mr. Dealer, please fix this".

Wait a minute... looking at the pic again... swap the feet side for side. See if that works. I think they're just on the wrong side.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
HOWEVER... the fix should be a simple "Mr. Dealer, please fix this".

Wait a minute... looking at the pic again... swap the feet side for side. See if that works. I think they're just on the wrong side.

I don't think you can swap the feet. It looks like they are welded to the arch bar that goes over the top of them. I can't tell from the picture, but If you rotate those feet as suggested, perhaps the whole anchor will tilt back and snug up to the roller. Ideally, you want the anchor pulled tight to the roller w/o the tip hitting the hull. I also questioned if the anchor it too big?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think you can swap the feet. It looks like they are welded to the arch bar that goes over the top of them. I can't tell from the picture, but If you rotate those feet as suggested, perhaps the whole anchor will tilt back and snug up to the roller. Ideally, you want the anchor pulled tight to the roller w/o the tip hitting the hull. I also questioned if the anchor it too big?
You're right - it's welded. I didn't notice that. I still think the problem is they're on backwards, though. Unfortunately, it seems they were installed and THEN the hoop was welded to them. So... back to "Hello, Mr. Dealer" :) They should get a new feet/hoop set. Go look at other similar boats and see how the feet are setup. UNLESS, there is another hole drilled in the chute that we can't see (or you don't mind drilling a new hole). But you may not be able to rotate it (as is) given the hoop will go along with it and become less effective.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They are not on backwards, flipping them would put the adjustment bolts on the front, leaving the slots,or holes, on the rear. There is an adjustment bolt on both sides. Pictures of the 285(Congratulations BTW), on the GW website show very little clearance, but if you zoom in, it looks like the tabs are pointed more forward, where yours are straight down, or even a few degrees to the rear. It looks like you’re only looking for an inch of clearance.17456F11-46C4-4512-80CE-659DD1257D14.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm admittedly speaking with no real experience here, but... if you flipped the contraption (forget about the bail for now)... to then get the holes to line up again, you would rotate the contraption's feet/tabs FORWARD which would push the anchor both forward and also allow the anchor to pivot slightly and allow the shank to more closely line up parallel with the chute.

seasick

Reaction score
In that photo the anchor shaft is riding on the roller. The OPs anchor is pulled too far back. I don't know if that is due to an adjustment or he needs to back off a bit. Maybe it's not that simple but as mentioned, for now back it off to prevent damage to the glass

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't think the anchor should come up tight against the guides on the side. They are there to keep the rode feeding onto the roller, not for the anchor to bottom out against. The anchor should pull up to where the force of the windlass is holding the anchor against the roller not against the guides. Something is amiss there. Either it is the wrong anchor for that roller or the wrong roller for that anchor. I agree with Dennis....it's a new boat.... don't touch it.... talk to the dealer and insist on it being rectified. If you bought a new car and the front wheel was rubbing on the fender, you would call the dealer.... same deal here. If the boat was bought used and 'as is' then get your toolbox out.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
dealer

not your problem, it's theirs

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’d check some other boats at the dealer.