Windlass for Marlin 300

Phil

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello - I just purchased a 2001 Marlin 300 and it does not have a windlass. I am going to install one in the next couple days but wondering which one to buy. I would like a stainless laterally rotating windlass which I believe the newer Marlins come with. Any advice would be great with brands and chain size.

thanks in advance

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Marlin '05 has the Vertical style, think most came with that type. You can read up on them, but main thing is motor under deck vs. Horizontal has motor above deck, so more intrusive on deck. Vertical suppose to maintain better contact with line and chain.

Phil

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Marlin '05 has the Vertical style, think most came with that type. You can read up on them, but main thing is motor under deck vs. Horizontal has motor above deck, so more intrusive on deck. Vertical suppose to maintain better contact with line and chain.
Thanks, understood on ergonomics but the stainless just looks great

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes indeed, would not even think of anything on salt water that was not stainless.

freddy063

Reaction score
question, I installed a 7000 windless a few years ago, it the type that puts the line into the line holding area below the front deck, on my 1994 272 sail fish because the old one stopped working. I haven't used it once. The reason is , it the wrong tool for my need. I fish offshore, use a float and a drop line. I wish I would of gotten a capstan type. It would be nice to have other options , and leaving the wet lines on deck to dry before stowing them below. So first look at what would be the best tool for your needs, and don't made the mistake I did. I wish i have gotten a vertical capstan with a forward foot deck switch.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Windlass-Anchor ProSport 550 of Lewmar. Installed this as a replacement for an identical model that had failed due to saltwater immersion. Talk about quick. Had this installed and operational in 30 minutes. It even came with a new up/down switch and a control relay which I didn't need but now have as spares. Very pleased with the sturdiness, construction, and smooth operation.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Stainless is on the top only. The guts and motor appear to be the same as other models. Lewmar is what GW uses.

My 06 Marlin came with a Simpson-Lawrence Sprint 600. Lewmar bought them I believe. Should be able to match it up.