Windlass Installation

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Picked up my windlass and FX-11 yesterday.

Lewmar Pro-Fish 700, $566.99
Fortress FX-11 anchor, $119.99

Out the door with tax, $735.07

Looking forward to install this. Been nice to use it today on Big Sarasota Pass sandbar.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
KY , my boat has a swivel plate on the pulpit so when you release the anchor the weight of the anchor tilts the plate down so she drops. I don't know if it will work with a solid ( none swinging plate) . Let me know if you want to see a photo of mine.
They removed the original one when they fitted the windlass.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Would like to see it if you get a chance to post some pics. Thanks.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
KY , my boat has a swivel plate on the pulpit so when you release the anchor the weight of the anchor tilts the plate down so she drops. I don't know if it will work with a solid ( none swinging plate) . Let me know if you want to see a photo of mine.
They removed the original one when they fitted the windlass.

Please post hoon. I haven't started the install yet. If it's something I might need, I'd like to see it.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I installed a windlass 2 years ago. I ended up purchasing the split hatch from GW. Since GW offered the windlass from the factory as an option, the wiring harness from the console to the bow was already there. It was a lot of work but it works well and a back saver. Good luck

Thanking I’m gonna pull the trigger On the split hatch. do you recall how much that split hatch cost you from the dealer ?

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanking I’m gonna pull the trigger On the split hatch. do you recall how much that split hatch cost you from the dealer ?
Yeah curious how much the split hatch is also.

Reactions: JJMag

wrxhoon

Reaction score
As promised some pictures of my pulpit showing the extra plate, by the way it is made by Lewmar , they also installed a flat aluminum plate under it, I don't know why ally and not S/S like the swing .

I don't know if you must have this on your pulpit for the anchor to self drop as soon as you release pressure, I know it works well on my boat. Maybe it would work without? Depending on the anchor? You may have to check with others that don't have this set up. You could also try yourself see if the anchor drops on your standard fitting without help.

1593667770518.png
1593667829998.png

1593668638300.png

1593668744016.png

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks hoon!! My plan was to go with what I have for now. I can always modify later. I did go up one on anchor size to the FX-11. Have a FX-7 that I've been manually tossing out, I'll keep it as my stern anchor for sandbar duty.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks hoon!! My plan was to go with what I have for now. I can always modify later. I did go up one on anchor size to the FX-11. Have a FX-7 that I've been manually tossing out, I'll keep it as my stern anchor for sandbar duty.
Save yourself the headache of modifying and unjamming.
Get the split hatch and lewmar windlass for it.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Save yourself the headache of modifying and unjamming.
Get the split hatch and lewmar windlass for it.
Summer , that wouldn't make any difference to the anchor free falling.
The set up on my boat is there so when you release pressure ( push the button so it unwinds), the anchor drops down. I'm not sure if it will if you don't have the swivel on the bracket, it could but not sure .

KY , of course if you can install it after if you find the anchor doesn't drop, you can even walk to the front and help it drop.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It
Summer , that wouldn't make any difference to the anchor free falling.
The set up on my boat is there so when you release pressure ( push the button so it unwinds), the anchor drops down. I'm not sure if it will if you don't have the swivel on the bracket, it could but not sure .

KY , of course if you can install it after if you find the anchor doesn't drop, you can even walk to the front and help it drop.
Split hatch isn’t for free falling. It’s for pulling in 75+ foot of rope. Rope bunches up under neath the pulpit

I’m waiting for my pulpit to crap out so I can get the split hatch and windlass Grady puts on their new model seafarers

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

look at the post from OMER

Your pro fish hole you have to drill won’t be as far back as his and still he had to make a slide for rope to not bunch up underneath.

im about to do the same just have to get the metal. And figure how to attach it.

that bent rod swivel also is a great idea for delta anchor retrieval to come around pulpit the correct way.

I’m just saying I have the exact same boat and jjmag, rusty, and Omerhave jamming issues.Eight plait helped a lot butjust trying to warn u before cutting that hole I would get the split hatch and hold off to save for it

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Summer , we are talking about 2 different things, my suggestion to KY was to investigate if the anchor will free fall without help and pointed out to him how mine was fitted with a swing bracket supplied by Lewmer.
What you are saying is different issue, however I don't have that problem but again I don't normally anchor much, only sometimes for livies and not in deep water. I mostly fish long way offshore, you can't anchor at 2000 plus feet. Sometimes we drop for bottom fish at 1500', we use a sea drogue to slow the drift.
If I had that issue I would make a S/S plate, mount that just forward of the hole that chain /rope falls and angle that towards the rear and that would fix it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I finally got time to remove center cleat and locate windlass as far back as I can get. Looks good to me, rather have the full locker door to use if needed. Rather have the freefall capability with the Pro-Fish than the horizontal windlass that goes on the split hatch. Right now it's sitting on the wires, haven't drilled holes yet, should sit flat when I do.
20200709_212804.jpg20200709_213052.jpg20200709_213108.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the Lewmar Delta Fast Set. Just got the stainless version list for $770 on Amazon for $168 (it was advertised as used, likely packaging was wrecked).
Was surprised when I thought it was going to be the galvy looking model but the stainless steel one was there instead! Now I can say "Hey you scratched my anchor!"

I'm replacing a Delta now and have had it for 15 plus years. Great mud, sand and even light rocky areas.