Windlass Issue

Lucky13

Reaction score
Windlass died on me. When I try and engage it all it does is make a clicking noise. Happened once before a yr or two ago and it was just the fuse up by the anchor locker but that is not it this time. The main 70amp breaker was also not tripped by the batteries. Anyone had this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help

seasick

Reaction score
Bad motor maybe, but also could be bad relay or bad connection at relay, or breaker or ground circuit. There may be two breakers on the feed. One should be at the helm somewhere and if the windlass was wired directly to the battery,ere should be on in the battery area. It is possible and likely that the relay is powered by the accessory buss and the actual windlass motor get power on a separate circuit from the battery

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On the 330 there is a hi-amp relay near the windlass in the anchor locker. It is actuated by the helm or foot switches. You may hear it clicking. If it is providing a hi-amp/12V feed as it should, then it is a windlass problem. If not, then it is a relay or power feed issue. Check all of the connections to and from the relay. The relay simply provides power (in either polarity) to run the motor up or down.

Lucky13

Reaction score
On the 330 there is a hi-amp relay near the windlass in the anchor locker. It is actuated by the helm or foot switches. You may hear it clicking. If it is providing a hi-amp/12V feed as it should, then it is a windlass problem. If not, then it is a relay or power feed issue. Check all of the connections to and from the relay. The relay simply provides power (in either polarity) to run the motor up or down.
yes it is clicking. I will check all the connections and if good then I guess its the windlass. Thanks for the info

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've pulled em apart a few times, greased them and put them back together. eventually replaced it/