Windlass Malfunction

Fishtales

Reaction score
We'll Fishtales (06 Marlin) has been issue free till this year...
I just posted my most recent problem - bow thruster. But I did have a couple of others that I thought I would share.

I needed to change the livewell pump earlier in the year. Surprised that these things just don't seem to last. This is an easy change and the pump isn't all that expensive.

The reason for this thread, is to discuss the Lewmar vertical windlass model Sprint 600 on the boat. It stopped working, and after checking the switch, thermal breaker and voltage, I decided to pull it and see what was up before writing a big check to replace. My first thought was mashed gears, but didn't recall doing anything incorrect. I opened the gear case and the grease was wet. Decided to dig into the motor and it was 1/2 filled with water. It didn't appear to be salt water (but I wasn't tasting!). That got me thinking that those rode and windlass water only washings I perform after every run, maybe wasn't that wise. Going forward I just wash the rode in the bow.

I cleaned all the grease and inspected the gear teeth, all were fine. The teeth on the gears and the gears themselves are quite small. I was surprised that I didn't have a gear issue to be honest. I repacked the gears and then dried out the motor, cleaned the brushes and reassembled. I was impressed with the motor, very strong magnets and well constructed. I reassembled and bench tested off the car battery. I re-installed and have not had any issues. One thing I will say, is working through the access port in the bow area is a royal PIA.

I'm not sure if the problem will reappear as the vertical shaft seal must not be water tight, but to date it is working well. I will need to monitor. The vertical motor case is sealed and there is a rubber boot over it. Well intentioned, but if water gets into the motor, it has no way to come out. Thought this wasn't a great idea for a vertical mounted model.

If the problem does reappear, my plan is to drill a weep hole in the bottom of the motor casing to let the water drain out. I'll have to come up with some type of pan to catch the water, as it likely will have grease in it and I don't want that in the bildge.

I'd be curious if anyone else has had problems with the vertical mounted windlasses and what insight you may have. If you have problems, don't be afraid to crack the thing open and rebuild it. You may save or delay a big purchase.

tx,
dr

Enough Already

Reaction score
OK, so your timing could not have been more perfect! After basically ignoring my windlass for almost 7 years - it has always worked great - it is now DOA this afternoon. I have the Horizon 600 (horizontal) on my 2001 265 Express. It is locked up tight and doesn't do anything or make any sound when I flip the helm switch. I checked the breaker and it looks fine. After doing some online research tonight, I found that my normal storage routine - running it up tight and leaving it that way is probably not the best way to leave it. I tried backing off the clutch nut but it didn't do anything. Didn't really have a chance to debug and see for example if I was getting 12 volts to the motor. Didn't bang it with a hammer yet either :mrgreen: . Regardless, the chain is pulled very tight and the whole thing is jammed. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but have never worked on a windlass before. Would like to basically remove and refurbish if possible. Not really interested in a $900 replacement either. I hardly use the thing, so service history is pretty light. Is it worth digging in to it? How do I get it unstuck?