Loosechips

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
  • [/list

Lewmar Delta
    New Rode and Rope
    Windlass engine works great

When I go to lower the anchor it doesn’t make it over the edge to drop. I have to go to the front and give it a little push over.

Any suggestions?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Has it always done this? Did you recently change anchors? Some anchor rollers work better/worse with different styles of anchors. You may have an anchor roller that works better with a fluke style. But, check the rollers - make sure they're not flat spotted or stuck.

Loosechips

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks.

I had a lewmar claw that didn’t work, bought a fortress and that didn’t work. Either. I will check the actual roller next

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I always have this same issue. I wrapped some lead strips around the round bar between the spades and that seemed to help. I get it to drop on it's own about 25% of the time now. It is very aggravating to say the least! I have tried everything I can think of. Rollers are nice and round. Greased up and smooth, etc. Not rubbing on the sides, etc.
Only other thing I can think of is that the anchor comes down with the shank down on the pulpit and if it can be lifted somehow, it will deploy then. Just not sure how to raise up the shank without something being in the way of retrieval.

Coolchange1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the same issue but I think it's because on mine the weight of the chain holds the shank down not letting it tip up

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Loosechips... Another thing you can try is a top roller that has a deeper groove in it. This would allow the anchor sit at a slightly lower angle and may be just enough to get it going. I had a Lewmar Delta on my Sea Ray Sundancer and it launched and retrieved perfect every time. It's all about having the right anchor roller setup.

Is this an original (came with the boat) roller? If so, find out what anchor Grady would have recommended.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Does the anchor drop off the front of your pulpit or from a hole in the pulpit? My previous Grady had the anchor extending past and dropping off the end of the pulpit. Most of the time it would need a little push to release. On my current Grady the pulpit is set up differently in which the anchor falls through a hole in the pulpit. This set up the anchor seems to sit lower and will always deploy its self. Some of the above modifications may help, or you may just end up doing what I did and just send a crew member up there to give it a shove off.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Try telling your crew to "hold on" and goosing the the throttles in reverse. The jump backwards will usually cause a hung anchor to loosen and drop.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
glacierbaze said:
My anchor drops on its own, but it is rarely used, so I keep a snubber on it. Someone has to go release it anyway.

I no longer have an issue with getting the anchor to drop, as I changed to a through-pulpit arrangement last year.

However, I agree completely with the quoted comment. Running with the anchor only held by the windlass is a risk - that's when it will let go and drop!

So, before you get to the anchoring area someone goes forward to untie the snubber, or release the chain lock, and you ease out two feet of rode to let the anchor hang just below the pulpit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
ocnslr said:
glacierbaze said:
My anchor drops on its own, but it is rarely used, so I keep a snubber on it. Someone has to go release it anyway.

I no longer have an issue with getting the anchor to drop, as I changed to a through-pulpit arrangement last year.

However, I agree completely with the quoted comment. Running with the anchor only held by the windlass is a risk - that's when it will let go and drop!

So, before you get to the anchoring area someone goes forward to untie the snubber, or release the chain lock, and you ease out two feet of rode to let the anchor hang just below the pulpit.

Good points. That's exactly how we do it, as well. Not worth ending up with an anchor in the prop or an anchor dropped onto the sea bottom when running 25 knots!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I took notice today when working with the anchor and if I hold the chain once Windlass is free fall, I can feel what seems to be like flat spots as the roller begins to move. I think what is happening is that the black rubber roller might be developing these flat spots when the anchor is secured.

Might try to find one of those delrin rollers and see if it works better. Just have to find the right size. Forgot to measure before I left the boat.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
ROBERTH said:
I took notice today when working with the anchor and if I hold the chain once Windlass is free fall, I can feel what seems to be like flat spots as the roller begins to move. I think what is happening is that the black rubber roller might be developing these flat spots when the anchor is secured.

Might try to find one of those delrin rollers and see if it works better. Just have to find the right size. Forgot to measure before I left the boat.

Just replaced mine on a 2004 Sailfish - MARITHANE WHEEL 2 1/2" X 1 3/4" - Windline website $16

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think that is the same size wheel mine takes.

I had a Delrin before and for some reason didn't like it. I can't seem to find it, so will pick up one this weekend at WM if still on the shelf and see how it does. Only $12 per their website. The Delrin is the white one and is hard, like a nylon. I was not able to find any details on the Marithane, if it will be soft enough to flat spot or not?
I think I recall the delrin was getting cut up a bit, but willing to go another try and see how it does. I am sure my original in use now, after 26 years has softened up a bit, but shows no signs of dry rot. Must have been good stuff back in the day!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hmm, just happened to find some info on the Marithane just after posting it above. Didn't find until just now:

-Hand cast from an elastomer unmatched in ability to resist wear and distortion at high loads
-Won't wear line or chain
-More durable, yet quieter than either hard plastic or metal

I think this might be the route I should take!