Windlass on a 228 Seafarer

PerdidoBandito

Reaction score
I have been trying to find out if there is anyone out there who has installed a windlass on a 2007 228 Seafarer. The dealership won't do the job supposedly because of the extensive fiberglassing involved. I thought that I may be able to install it on the anchor locker door, but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel if I didn't have too. Has anyone had the pleasure of tackling this one yet?

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
When I purchased my 228 I had the dealer install the windlass. They had to remove the bow lift ring. I know they were in contact with Grady prior to. I do have a bow pulpit. I cannot see why you have to get into heavy fiberglass repairs.

PerdidoBandito

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have an 07 228 with a pulpit. I'm afraid I will have to readdress this with another dealership, I'll let you know what happens.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
well if you were closer i would do it

i did mine 3 times because all the windless we got from the installing dealer failed on us!

they kept giving us re manufactured ones

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JIT,
Was this installed on the rear of the pulpit? I've been tempted to install one myself but was concerned about the amount of drop into the locker.

Renovator

Reaction score
PB, I am not real familiar with the 228 but could you remove the anchor locker door and replace it with a piece of starboard and mount the windlass directly over the deepest part of the locker. That's what I did on my Sailfish after the factory unit failed that was mounted on the rear of the pulpit. This location is far superior IMHO and has worked perfect for me and I still have the original door to reconvert if ever needed.