Windlass opinions Horizontal vs Vertical

moorehaven

Reaction score
I want to install a windlass on my 24 Offshore and was wondering which is better horizontal or vertical ? I believe horizontal might better functioning but vertical is a cleaner installation . Any opinions

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the horizontal on my 27 Sailfish and now I have a vertical on the Marlin 300. Both were/are fine. If it was me I would put in the easiest.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The first thing you need to check is the size of the anchor locker. This will dictate which style you pick from. Measure the amount of "drop" you have and compare that to the various windlasses you are looking at. A vertical will require more drop. As far actual functionality goes - close enough as makes no difference.

fischer

Reaction score
If you like the idea of a winch that doesn't require you to tie the anchor line off to a cleat, maybe have a look at the windlass from Good Automatic Windlass Co. I'm installing one on my Marlin in the next couple of weeks. Lots of research indicates the Good windlass will be durable, reliable drama free and apparently one of very few (or maybe the only) windlasses that are designed to hold your boat at anchor. It's also a free fall type. I went with the F850A with 400' rode and 20' chain.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll second a "Good" windlass! I had one on an older 25 Grady, and it was so easy to use, and never failed to operate. :goodjob