Windlass quit

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
I have a 98 300 Marlin and the windlass quit working. I havent had a chance to investigate whether or not the windlass is frozen or just not getting power. Fuse in helm is good. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their windlass anchor.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd measure the voltage at the windlass. If the voltage is ok, I'd pull the windlass and take it apart. It may be frozen. I had a problem with mine last year. I took it all apart, cleaned the inside out, brushed up the contact area and brushes and put it back together. Tested it on my car battery and reinstalled. Been running well since.
They are not cheap, so take a shot at taking it apart. You've got nothing to lose.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Mine locked up earlier this year. I had the thing pulled up pretty tight for a month or two of non-use (which I found out later is really bad). Took the unit off and dropped it off at FL Rigging & Hydraulics. $70 and a complete tune up later, still working like a charm - 10 year old unit. Definitely check the old one out before dropping a grand on a new one.

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm really hoping it doesn't have to be replaced. Had the macerator pump rebuilt the same way last year. Trying to fix some odds and ends for a trip to the Dry Tortugas in May.