windlass recommendations??

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Lewmar ProFish 700 just ate the internal washers causing all sorts of gear damage. I am going to clean everything up tomorrow to see what needs replacing.... but if it is half the value of a new unit, I am just going to get a new windlass.

It appears that this windlass has some less than stellar reviews. We use it quite a lot in some high load anchoring (sandbars with heavy perpendicular current using a stern anchor). Do you guys have any recommendations? I am not very versed in quality windlasses (is that the proper plural of windlass?).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It sounds like you are using the windlass to hold you at anchor. Is that model rated for that? Most are specifically NOT rated for that.

See what it looks like when you pull it apart. Lewmar makes good stuff, though.

Good makes excellent windlasses. Made in the USA, too.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It sounds like you are using the windlass to hold you at anchor. Is that model rated for that? Most are specifically NOT rated for that.

See what it looks like when you pull it apart. Lewmar makes good stuff, though.

Good makes excellent windlasses. Made in the USA, too.

I believe I am the cause of the windlass’s demise. I do not believe it is rated to hold.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you tie off the line after the anchor is set?

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Do you tie off the line after the anchor is set?
I will as of today :).
I never honestly really thought about It. I owned a boat a few years ago that had a windlass rated to hold, I just assumed this one did as well.

seasick

Reaction score
You didn't specify the model hull. Just checking if the windlass is matched correctly to the load.
Secondly, using the windlass to hold is not necessarily a windlass killer. That depends on the load of course ( currents, seas, wind, etc.
'Using the windlass to run up to a set anchor is another story.That can put a lot of strain on the anchor especially in shallow waters You should power the vessel towards the anchor and retrieve the 'unloaded' rode and chain. Eventually the anchor will become free
Let me be honest. I know you shouldn't use the windlass to hold but rather should tie off the anchor line as well as tie down the line when the anchor is up. I have windlass so that I don't have to go forward to unhook/ tie off the anchor. That's the entire purpose of a windlass in my opinion

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The vessel is a 2004 Marlin. I am pretty sure I am the cause of killing the windlass. I motor up to the anchor as much as possible, however our "sandbarring" is pretty epic down here in the keys, and I arrive early, set up with multiple anchors. There is one sandbar in particular, "whale harbor," that has some nasty perpendicular current. Motoring up to the anchor is not possible here. This is where I am pretty sure the windlass gave up its soul.

I am going to replace the washers that split (pretty cheap), and see if that get her going. Long term, I may go to a much larger windlass to fit our mission requirements....