Windlass Replacement

knotflyn2day

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Hello,

I have a 2001 263 Chase. After 21 years she finally has decided to poop the bed. I'm looking for a suitable replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: wspitler

knotflyn2day

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Did the one that took a crap work good for 21 years?
Morning. Mostly. It started slipping a few years back. We were able to keep it alive and well but it's time for a replacement

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It would seem to me that if the current unit did a good job for 21 years, replacing with the same thing would make sense. However, if there is performance considerations that the old one didn't impress at and other models do better then look elsewhere. That being said, if the complaint on the current one is that it is slipping while in-hauling, then it is probably just needing a new gypsy and pressure finger spring. Also check to make sure the finger is not bent. If you post the brand and model here, there are guys here that can give some good info.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you try tightening the clutch? Can whatever brand you have be rebuilt? If you can get the parts for it, that might be a worthwhile thing to look into. I've never done it, myself, but it seems like that's all you need?

Or... are you saying the rope is slipping in the gypsy? In that case, you probably just need a new gypsy or spring finger.

knotflyn2day

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Did you try tightening the clutch? Can whatever brand you have be rebuilt? If you can get the parts for it, that might be a worthwhile thing to look into. I've never done it, myself, but it seems like that's all you need?

Or... are you saying the rope is slipping in the gypsy? In that case, you probably just need a new gypsy or spring finger.
Yes. It's shot. I don't know the brand as it has been weathered away from sun damage. I was hoping some other GW Chase owners could comment as to their brand. Thanks again

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes. It's shot. I don't know the brand as it has been weathered away from sun damage. I was hoping some other GW Chase owners could comment as to their brand. Thanks again
If you post a picture I am sure someone in this forum will be able to tell you who the manufacturer is.

Reactions: dstarok