Windlass rode - bunching up

georgemjr

Reaction score
'06, 33 Express. When I raise my anchor, the rope bunches up in the "V" of the bow and prevents the windlass from retracting any more rope. Grady must have recognized this problem, as they moved the windlass further aft on later models so the rope can drop into the deeper part of the well. Has anyone come up with a DIY solution? I was thinking about putting a piece of starboard in there to eliminate the V and direct the rope further aft. I hate to have to go to the bow and hand-feed the rope in order for the windlass to work. Any solutions???

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hear there is a "7 lay" line recommended which is more supple and falls better. Check with Grady HQ.

dduflo

Reaction score
I have an Islander 270 that I mounted a Lewmar windlass and used their 8 Plait anchor line. Have same problem so I made a chute to direct the line further aft. Did not work. 8 Plait is very soft and I'm wondering if 3 strand may be better. Frustrated and still looking for a solution.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have a 270 Islander. I installed a Lewmar horizontal windlass quite some time ago.

It worked fairly well with 300-ft of 3-strand, 1/2" rode and 30 feet of chain.

Recently changed to 8-plait and now have 600-feet of rode and 30-feet of chain. It works BETTER now.

You might also consider a SWIVEL where the anchor meets the chain, to help remove some of the twist.

Basic problem is that vertical windlasses need more "fall" for the rode than horizontal windlasses, but Grady went with the more attractive vertical units.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remove all the line and put in a 5 gal. bucket with lots of fabric softener for 2-3 days. I had the same problem on a previous boat(not with any of my Gradys) and i was told that from an old salt, it worked for me then, but i had to do it twice in a season.