Windlass

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anybody install a windlass on their seafarer? Anything I should know? Thanks in advance

rrcallih

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bump, I'm considering this also. I already have a 13 lb SS windless anchor that I found diving so I'm considering making the move.

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's your budget for this project? Are you able to do the electrical wiring and fiberglass modifications yourself?

Hi Dennis. I originally posted this. I would certainly handle wiring and most of the work. I hear of people doing this with with no glass work. Thats why I question the project. Seems its should be fairly simple, but that’s why I’m here. Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You could buy the original Grady pulpit (not sure what year you have, though). Or make a pulpit... maybe find one used somewhere. But you need some way of extending the anchor roller past the bow so the anchor doesn't hit the bow. You'll need to shore up the anchor hatch for the securment of the horizontal windlass (there's no way you'll be able to use a vertical) and proerly drill the hole in hatch. You need to run heavy gauge cables from the battery to the windlass. Also wire/install the contactor/solenoid and then the switches at the dash.

There's not a lot of room in that anchor locker - especially depth. Have you measured to see if you even have enough "fall" for it to even work? Check some windlass manuals for what is required. Make sure you have enough space there to still have a usable amount of rode.

This is not something you do on a whim or enter into lightly. It is NOT an "afternoon" project, especially if you are new to this kind of work. Parts wise, you could easily have somewhere in the mid-$1K range. Add labor to this for anything you don't do yourself at $100+/hour. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it - just offering some guidance and suggestions.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have one in my 228G, it came with the boat, if it didn't I wouldn't fit one as I don't anchor much , mostly catching live bait. No F/glass work required as long as you have the factory pulpit. There is enough room in the anchor locker to work .

Attachments

• 2013 Grady 65.jpg
    2013 Grady 65.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013 Grady 4.jpg
    2013 Grady 4.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 40

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
WRX, I see that's dropping into the anchor locker up near the front of the locker (which is an unusual spot for the rode to drop, generally speaking). How much rode do you have? Is it all chain? Does it ever get jumbled up or do you have to help feed the rode into the locker by hand?

There will be fiberglass work, no matter what. There are, at a minimum, a bunch of holes to be drilled and properly backfilled with epoxy.

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have one in my 228G, it came with the boat, if it didn't I wouldn't fit one as I don't anchor much , mostly catching live bait. No F/glass work required as long as you have the factory pulpit. There is enough room in the anchor locker to work .

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting!!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
WRX, I see that's dropping into the anchor locker up near the front of the locker (which is an unusual spot for the rode to drop, generally speaking). How much rode do you have? Is it all chain? Does it ever get jumbled up or do you have to help feed the rode into the locker by hand?

There will be fiberglass work, no matter what. There are, at a minimum, a bunch of holes to be drilled and properly backfilled with epoxy.

When I said no FG work , I meant no additions and no patching up. Of course you have to make holes to mount the windlass and a big hole for the rode and chain to go through, that's a given.
I can't comment on the location of the drop as we don't have lots of Grady 228s here. Mine is also fitted with a bow roller on a swing bracket so the anchor drops easily. We normally use the free fall function to drop the anchor so we don't unnecessary use the battery.
I have 200' of rope and about 24' short link chain, probably not enough chain to anchor in deep water with strong wind. Never feed it by hand and it doesn't get jumbled normally, it works very well. I prefer that to a drum winch, only problem with the windlass you have to use short link chain and certain thickness rode.

Reactions: Rich63