Windless Issues

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
2021 Canyon 306 Lewar windless chews through the rode. Lost 2 stainless anchors, one on the first day of use.
Any suggestions on adjustments etc appreciated. Customer service cut me loose

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Chews through the rode while anchored or chews through the rode while in-hauling the rode?

If it is chewing up the rode while anchored it is because you are leaving the strain of the anchoring force on the windlass gypsy. When the correct amount of rode is payed out, the line must be transferred to a cleat or bollard at the bow to take the strain, leaving slack in the line to the windlass.

If it is chewing through the rode while in-hauling then the gypsy is being left rotating without taking in any line. When the gypsy starts slipping on the line, the windlass must be shut off. If the gypsy is slipping a lot, either you have the wrong size line or wrong line construction, or the gypsy is worn out, or the pressure finger spring is weak or broken.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There really isn't any adjustment that can made - other than tightening or loosening the clutch - but that isn't the issue here.

What John said is dead on - the only thing I'd add is that another possibility is that it's not actually the windlass that's chewing it up, rather something on the ground. Do you use a good length of chain off the anchor?

What do you mean by "customer service cut me loose"? Grady? Lewmar? That sounds odd that they wouldn't offer any suggestions... unless there's more going on here?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My guess is you have a mismatch between the lines size and and size of the gypsy. The size of the gypsy is written on it. It may have to be removed to view the size. There are several sizes for each size windlass and they are easily changed out. Recommend you go to the Lewmar website and do some research on size gypsies that come standard on their different windlasses. It may be cheaper and easier to change the gypsy instead of changing the rode.

Reactions: Karen Ann IV

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thank you all for your replies . I sent them to my marina
I always tie off the rode when anchored.
this is my fourth Grady and I have never had this issue.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd verify the line diameter and ensure proper for the windlass. Use 8 plait versus 3 strand rode if possible and change out when aged (you didn't say if new or not). I like the idea of verifying the torque of the windlass and adjust if required (albeit I've never done this). Check with the manufacturer or web search to see how this is accomplished.

seasick

Reaction score
Can you explain where the line failed and how it failed. Did the line snap off while anchoring at sea an did it snap off at the gypsy. Did it appear frayed when you deployed or hauled?
Did it fail always when windlass was in use or just anchored?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since you cleat off the rode at anchor, the only way it chews through is if it is slipping in the gypsy. Are you getting over the anchor, breaking it loose, and retrieving vertically, or is the windlass pulling the boat to the anchor?
How far does the damage extend on each side of the actual separation? Pics always help, including the roller on the pulpit.

Last edited:

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
When using the windlass, are you bumping the boat in to/out of gear to "ride up on the rode/anchor" or are you letting the windlass drag the boat to the anchor?

Did you check everything for a rough edge?

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Can you explain where the line failed and how it failed. Did the line snap off while anchoring at sea an did it snap off at the gypsy. Did it appear frayed when you deployed or hauled?
Brand new rode rode broke in the windless line was totally frayed broke while hauling

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
When using the windlass, are you bumping the boat in to/out of gear to "ride up on the rode/anchor" or are you letting the windlass drag the boat to the anchor?

Did you check everything for a rough edge?
yes always bump the vessel up into line. no sharp or rough edges. Its something in the interface between the rode and the windless.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you were in-hauling a slack line and the line was new and the windlass cut the line, my first thought would be that the line jumped off the gypsy due to the line being hauled in over the side and the line jammed between the rotating gypsy and the gear case of the windlass. While in-hauling the line that was slack due to you bumping ahead to ease the strain, did the line stay in the fair lead on the pulpit so it had good alignment with the windlass?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
yes always bump the vessel up into line. no sharp or rough edges. Its something in the interface between the rode and the windless.
An assumption would be that you checked the gypsy - closely visually inspect it as well as feel it. But just to double check... have you?

Unless I missed it, did you verify if the line was slipping in the gypsy? Meaning, the gypsy was turning but the line wasn't following it?

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Rode broke off when bringing the anchor in. Always tie off the rode when anchored. The line was frizzy, totally chewed up. not a clean cut

seasick

Reaction score
Did you purchase the line? If so, who made it and what were its specs. It is unusual for the situation you describe. Did the line fray over multiple or long sections of line or was the damage concentrated in one area,

Dis you see the capstan turning but the line wasn't retrieving?

seasick

Reaction score
Are you sure the damage was from the gypsy? A more likely scenario is that the line was already frayed from contact with a rock.
Are you sure the damage was from the gypsy? A more likely scenario is that the line was already frayed from contact with a rock.
Good point Dennis.
I forgot to ask where the line failed.
So where did the line fail and how much chain was rigged. I suppose it is possible that the wrong spec line was used.

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
This issue occurred twice both with new rodes . the second break on the first day after replacement

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This issue occurred twice both with new rodes . the second break on the first day after replacement
OK, so it's unlikely that it was from a rock (although not impossible). Since this has happened, I would assume, by now:

-- You have closely inspected the gypsy for obvious signs of rough edges
-- Watched closely as the line comes in for slippage
-- Checked that the correct size line is being used for the gypsy

If the issue is with the gypsy - it's one of those things. Only you can figure it out from here.