Window Cleaning

fish-n-fun

Reaction score
Suggestions needed on the best way/solutions to clean the clear portion of boat curtains. I have tried just fresh water hosing, but it leaves water marks.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
o use safe, high quality boat soap which is safe for curtains (Orpine for one)

o use a soft wash mitt and ensure there are no salt deposits which can scratch (good pre-rinse)

o dry with chamois to avoid spots (The Absorber from BW, WM is really good)

o use a recommended protective polish on the inside and outside periodically (210, Plexus)

o NEVER use harsh detergents or RainX (it is great for windshields however)

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Megabytes is right on. P.S. Plexus is awsome.

seasick

Reaction score
I use 303 Aerospace Protectorant. Wash the windows with water and a little boat soap(mild). Let dry ( you can lighten towel them to speed up the process. Spray on a little 303 and wipe it off with a clean soft cloth. If you use too much protectorant, there will be streaks. The 303 is a UV inhibitor that slows down the degradation of the plastic. I use 303 for a lot of applications. I use it on the seat cushions, bolsters and even the rub rail.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Try the Yacht Bright product line. A little more money but an awesome product.

grady23

Reaction score
Use the softest cloth you can and clean with plenty of soap and water. Save the cloth and only use it for the clear vinyl.
Nothing but the Plexus for my 11 year old clear. I've used it on friends clear and they can't believe the difference.

seasick

Reaction score
One hint is not to polish the windows if they are hot. The spray will streak the plastic.

I just took a look at the Strataglass web site to see what they recommended and of course, they recommend their IMAR Strataglass cleaner and polish. They even state that their warranty is voided if anything else is used.
I am not familiar with IMAR products. Anybody have any experience with the polish and/or cleaner?

seasick

Reaction score
RainX is fine for glass but is the kiss of death for plastic clear vinyl). It disolves and removes the protective UV coating and eventually the plastic turns cloudy. I think that every plastic manufacturer agrees.

ahill

Reaction score
I've used Kleer to Sea (sp) with great success. Don't know if it is still made though. A little goes a long way.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tried several others before, plexus makes the surface noticably shinier over others, more shine = higher clarity.
One product, no 2 steps. And it doesn't stain the polyester cloth. I believe I used before: two step Mcguiers (spelling?), dolphinite, and a small white squirt bottle - don't recall name.

7 yrs no yellowing and still supple.

Wannderer

Reaction score
insulator wax and a good real chamois, not the shitty absorber, the absorber sux, just remmeber everytime u chamois ur taking off the wax u puit on them curtains and everytime u wash ur taking even more off, just rinse and chamois, thats all u gotta do, then wash and wax when the time comes