Window trim seal - update

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Where is a good source for this? Appears to be a round extrusion.20190324_161015.jpg
20190324_161021.jpg

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's actually a great question. I'm hoping someone has purchased this before. I'm looking for the same thing.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm blown away that even with the power of google, I can't find this stuff! 5/8" diameter tube (epdm is my guess) with a 1/8" wall; can't find it or a metric equivalent. I have found 16mm solid epdm and hollow "d" shaped. Not sure if it will fit the track correctly.
No one on here has sourced this stuff before?:(

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try searching "Windshield screw cover trim"

There's no reason it has to be round, either. Other manufacturers (lot's of them) use a flat style. Still others use a more solid rubber style that 'snaps' in. Look on TaylorMade's website, too. All that matters is the size of the opening. Really, don't crazy looking for the 'exact' thing - just find something that will work. There's absolutely nothing special to what Grady used, there. How 'bout just a black, rubber hose? Did you try contacting Water Bonnet?.

Found this in the searches... 3/4", but should work: https://www.fpmarine.com/Rubber-Bulb-Seal-p/rubberbulbseal3-4.htm And: https://www.fpmarine.com/Misc-General-plastic-rubber-s/43.htm

I'm sure your Grady dealer can get it, as well - but might be costlier.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can try reaching out directly to TaylorMade. They likely will point you in the right direction. Don't forget to update the post for others.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dennis,
I found that one, but didn't know if 3/4" would be too big. I had wondered if it could have started at 3/4" and shrank.?
Zoro had a few items, but I couldn't find 5/8".
I emailed Taylormade as a last resort. I'm sure they dont really care to sell foam rubber pieces even with a massive mark up, but I'll see what they come back with.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis,
I found that one, but didn't know if 3/4" would be too big. I had wondered if it could have started at 3/4" and shrank.?
Zoro had a few items, but I couldn't find 5/8".
I emailed Taylormade as a last resort. I'm sure they dont really care to sell foam rubber pieces even with a massive mark up, but I'll see what they come back with.

I can't see 1/8" making any bit of difference here - even if your original was only 5/8" - although it has obviously shrunk - how much in diameter, I dunno, though. The window channel 'on the inside' gets quite a bit bigger than the opening. Grab a 1' section of 3/4" hose from Home Depot and see how it fits. The wall thickness will likely be thicker - but it that works, something with a thinner wall thickness will work even easier.

TaylorMade is often known for being very proud of their items... but it's still worth a shot.

Did you try Water Bonnet (the manufacturer of your windshield?

McMaster Carr might be another source.

But... don't rule out the flat style trim. Many manufacturers use it - include some high end ones like Sea Ray. All you're doing is filling a void.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks all.
Crab, please post photo when you get a chance.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't see 1/8" making any bit of difference here - even if your original was only 5/8" - although it has obviously shrunk - how much in diameter, I dunno, though. The window channel 'on the inside' gets quite a bit bigger than the opening. Grab a 1' section of 3/4" hose from Home Depot and see how it fits. The wall thickness will likely be thicker - but it that works, something with a thinner wall thickness will work even easier.

TaylorMade is often known for being very proud of their items... but it's still worth a shot.

Did you try Water Bonnet (the manufacturer of your windshield?

McMaster Carr might be another source.

But... don't rule out the flat style trim. Many manufacturers use it - include some high end ones like Sea Ray. All you're doing is filling a void.
All great points Dennis. I'm sure there are several solutions that could work, but it would be nice to do it once, be done, and not have to try something else a year later because of UV damage. I'm sure if I try a material made for windows it will hold up. I just want to make sure it looks right. I dont want my old boat to look bad because of mismatched parts that dont fit correctly.
I'm leaning towards the 3/4" tube, but I'll wait to see what Taylor made comes back with. It appears they owned or are related to Water Bonnet.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Also... If you have ANY marine dealer/retailer near you... they likely have something in stock that would work. It's a pretty common thing to have that in the store - at least around me, anyways. Keep it simple - if it fits, it fits... flat, round, snap-in, etc. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to get an exact match to the original - and truth be told, Grady didn't put a whole lot of thought into, either (no need to) - it's not like they had a whole engineering department dedicated to this. :)

The other reason for going local is that you can buy it by the foot. Sometimes, not always, when you order it you have to buy a whole roll of it.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I ended up ordering from Marine Glass Specialties. Less than $50 shipped for what I needed. Pricey for what it is, but it saves me time and I know it will work for a long time.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dennis has made a couple of references to the fact that this isn't a high tech component, and I agree fully with his line of thinking. The material in that groove is strictly for cosmetic purposes. If you take his advice about finding a simple piece of garden hose that matches the opening, you are all set for low dollars. We have a 25 foot section of sprinkler hose for our vegetable garden that would work perfectly I believe. It is black, UV resistant and readily available.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WaterWorks-5-8-in-x-50-ft-Sprinkler-Hose-WP890050FM/100125806

Oops, didn't realize you had already made your decision.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't mean to jump in here, but was hoping that it can be clarified if it's only cosmetic? I question this only because I thought the seal actually keeps water out? I'm missing several sections here and there on my sailfish , which I believe was the root of water entering parts of cockpit and cabin. last year I decided to just fill with caulk until I purchased a replacement seal. After I caulked it no more water penetration? Thanks for any help here. And thanks to the OP for raising this thread. Also family affair if you can post the exact product used and the outcome it would be awesome.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't mean to jump in here, but was hoping that it can be clarified if it's only cosmetic? I question this only because I thought the seal actually keeps water out? I'm missing several sections here and there on my sailfish , which I believe was the root of water entering parts of cockpit and cabin. last year I decided to just fill with caulk until I purchased a replacement seal. After I caulked it no more water penetration? Thanks for any help here. And thanks to the OP for raising this thread. Also family affair if you can post the exact product used and the outcome it would be awesome.
The deck is solid underneath the windshield. The only protrusions through the deck are the screws that hold the windshield to the deck. If you're getting leaks, that's because the screws have loosened and/or need to be resealed. The seal will help to keep water out of that channel, sure, but that is not it's primary job.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Will do. I'll measure OD of the new stuff and take before and after photos.
I'm not sure how long it will take to ship from Florida, but it might be a week or 2 before you see the results.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Finally got the tube. The new stuff measures about 11/16" od, so I think the 3/4" we found from another site would have been just fine.
Surprisingly after 20 years, the original tube didn't fall apart or deteriorated, but shrunk significantly.20190406_162509.jpg20190406_161414.jpg