Windshield Loose on Tournament

mboyatt

Reaction score
I just noticed that the port windshield frame on my 192 tournament is loose. :-| The shock absorber looking support rod is solid, so that is not the issue. I have thoroughly looked from up under the port console and am surprised that I can't find any bolts securing the frame. Come on, no bolts visible! The same goes for the starboard side, which is solid as a rock. Looked for bolts under the helm storage, but no luck. What am I missing? How did Grady white fasten the windshield frame down to the console? Any help you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm Carefully pry up the black plastic trim strip at the outside base of the windshield (same for all 4 panels), you have loose screws. I ended up drilling new holes to insure maximum tightness ...

mboyatt

Reaction score
Dang! Thanks for the solution curmudgeon. I just couldn't figure out how they attached the frame and I didn't want to damage something else by tearing it apart. I am confident that I can fix it now. I appreciate the free tech support!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Free? Free? I paid dearly for my experience, look for an invoice in your Private Messages. :dance

Be very careful with your windshield glass, it can and will spot without proper cleaning and care. You didn't say what year you have, but I found the weak points on my '86 the hard way - there is a single sheet metal screw securing the corners. If you develop any windshield any movement, those screws are being stressed and weakened. I hit a wake very hard last summer and the screw ripped out of an upper corner. Fixable, but it takes two to put it back together, at $100 per hour.

If you have a bimini with forward straps anchored to the windshield, change to a forward gunnel mount. There's a bunch of stress on those attachment points and not much sheet metal to spread it around.

The windshield looks pretty simple to disassemble, and it is. But it takes two men and a small boy to get it back together. Trust me on this one, don't do it unless you have a significant need ...

mboyatt

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Tournament 192. The issue is only on the port side, and yes, I noticed that the sheet metal screw on the end is beginning to loosen. I plan on removing the strip this weekend to inspect what screws need to be tightened/replaced. I absolutely do not plan on taking this whole thing apart. My plan is to remove the weather stripping and re screw that sucker down. The boat did not come with a bimini top, although I see the mounting points at the top of the windshield. I will definitely take your advice and go with a gunnel mount up front. The glass looks in good shape. I will make sure to rinse that down routinely and keep it clean. Have you ever thought of using Rain X on the windshield? I thought about trying that. Thanks again for all your advice!!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Have you ever thought of using Rain X on the windshield?

I thought about it, even bought the stuff. But after talking with several folks who did it, I decided to depend on the starboard wiper. I'm in saltwater, so it gets a soap/fresh water rinse every time out and I'm OK with it.

Be careful tightening the frame screws. They're very short with very little purchase, relative to the stress ... :wink:

mboyatt

Reaction score
So, Curmudgeon was right. I removed the stripping on the loose windshield and discovered that all of the sheet metal screws are broken. Not sure if this was caused by some kind of impact or what. Looks like I will need to drill some new holes through the windshield frame down through the fiberglass, then rescrew. Here is my question. Do I need to countersink my holes to prevent the fiberglass from cracking, or can I just drill my pilot holes and mount the screws?? My concern with countersinking is that once I drill the hole the correct size for the stainless screw, I will not be able to get a larger bit in there to countersink with my drill bit in reverse. I want to avoid removing the windshield at all costs! That would be a bloody nightmare. Thanks again Curmudgeon for the diagnosis. :D

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
You're over-thinking this, drill the holes with a moderate speed, a sharp bit, and steady hand. As with most screw holes in solid glass, the screws can't be too much larger than the holes without binding ... :wink:

mboyatt

Reaction score
Right then! I have been known to be overly paranoid. Looks like this will be any easy fix. Like you, I think I will toss in an extra screw or two just to make sure she is super solid. Thanks again Curmudgeon!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Sealant, yes. Countersink? Not possible under this windshield frame without removing the whole thing ... :|

mboyatt

Reaction score
Yes, the windshield frame is the problem I am facing, as curmudgeon pointed out. The only way to countersink would be to disassemble the entire port side window frame - both frames. Then you would have the unenviable task of trying to line this stuff back up to sink the screws. Not sure I need to go down that road. I am hoping that since the screw head will be against the metal frame and not glass, that perhaps I can get away with not countersinking. I do wonder though. Another option may be to drill the holes, then insert a Phillips head screwdriver and kind of spin it to cut into the fiberglass. I read about this technique once, but again, you can't believe everything you read. I have the stainless screws and 4200 sealant. Just have not taken the plunge yet because I am torn on what to do.

81Malibu

Reaction score
If you don't debur you run the risk of spider cracks. I'd rather spend more time now removing the whole windshield than repairing cracks. I just picked up a Tournament and most likely will be doing this job. PS. When I first got my Striper I had to reattach the windshield and I didn't countersink. I wound up with cracks.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
It's solid glass, not gel coat, and it's all covered. Didn't see a single spider crack when I had mine off, and that was after redrilling. This is a case where the end justifies the means, meaning disassembly is far more likely to create problems than drilling without countersink ... :|

mboyatt

Reaction score
I agree with you curmudgeon. There is no way I am removing this whole thing at this point. I just don't see the need. What a can of worms that would be. If I can use some of the existing holes, I will. Otherwise, new holes and screws directly through the frame without removal. It does look like very thick glass from underneath. Since your frame was removed some time after you drilled new holes and you found no evidence of cracking, I am confident this is the way to go. I will let you all know how it goes. I am very busy now, but hopefully I will tackle this in the next two weeks.

81Malibu

Reaction score
The entire hull is covered in gelcoat, solid glass or cored. You can do as you please with your boat. I was merely commenting on my previous experience on my Striper, which hopefully was a lower quality glass layup. I'll also be dealing with this same problem on my Tournament that seems to have a problem with the windshield. I'll report back after I get to tackle the problem. Best of luck with your repair.