Windshield support bars

theclamman

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Grady White 19ft Tournament and I need to replace the windshield support bars. The feet on both of the windshield support bars have finally corroded away. I have been trying to find the replacements and have not been able to find anything like what is on the boat now. I believe the current supports are the original factory hardware.

Has anyone replaced these before? If so, what brand did you use?

Thanks,

theclamman

Reaction score
I just called Grady and they informed me that the company that supplies all of the parts for the windshields is SternSafe. They sell all of the windshield hardware to the public as well. I guess that answers my question, I am going to call them now to order the parts.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I really don't like the supports on my 205 and have been thinking about getting custom aluminum ones made. They are chrome plated zinc with plastic ball connections just like on a cheap bowrider.

Really wish GW would spec a better product in this case.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Really wish GW would spec a better product in this case.

Mine lasted 22 years on a lift over the ICW, and the owner didn't know much about TLC. Struts can be ordered thru any GW dealer. I suppose custom aluminum would look much better .. as long as money is no object. :wink:

GWcpa

Reaction score
Don't know of any other hardware on the 3 GWs I've owned that were Zamac. Chrome plated zinc and plastic does not belong on a salt water boat.

The price is just it. It wouldn't cost that much to use non-corrosive materials instead.

You think GW should start using Zamac cleats to save a few bucks?

This hardware has the only corrossion on my boat, and it is a 2004 model. The suport shafts are wrapped in vinyl.

They may last for 20 years, but I'm not going to find out.

toolguy73

Reaction score
My 83 Tournament had the zamac that we're talking about here. Just replaced them last year through GW in Somers Point, NJ. Price wasn't bad and easy to get.

And the new ones are Zamac, but I didn't have to drill new holes, either. :wink:

1966Mustang

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
fordsix.com
Model
Tournament 192
I just came across the GG Schmitt website and found the windshield support bars several of you were looking for.http://www.ggschmitt.com/images/exp_brk.jpg
Just to leave a note on updating this link - I ordered the 29125 version -12-1/2" – 14-1/2"

Will post a pic of them installed.

Still looking for the proper weatherstrip profile for water bonnet windscreen / window channel...