Windshield wiper arm

Bokat

Reaction score
Does anyone have a windshield wiper that looks like this?

IMG_0311-copy.jpg

I have been trying to figure out how to remove this, off and on, for about a year so I could replace the motor. There are no set screws, clips or other release mechanisms. I finally used a propane torch and a big screwdriver and gently pried it off. It came off without too much effort and went back on with some gentle taps. I turned it on for a few wipes and it seems to be on securely. Time will tell. I thought I would post this in case someone else has this same type wiper arm.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I do in fact i took them off yesterday. My dad has a special tool that pops them right off. I couldnt begin to describe it though. Ill try to remember to take a picture of it tomarrow.

Jakkle5

Reaction score
you have to apply pressure to the bottom of the arm while wiggling up. The pin or rod it mounts onto is tapered so it gets tighter the further you tap it on.

catch22

Reaction score
There should be a set screw. The piece just to the right of the rivet, (over shaft) is a cover. You have to pry it up to get at the set screw.
When you install a new one, grease the splines and the set screw.

Bokat

Reaction score
Catch 22,

After I removed the arm I inspected it to see if there was a screw or release clip or something that I might have broken when I pried it off. There were no release mechanisms that I could see. The part of the arm that fits over the splined shaft is not a cap, it is the arm. I believe it is just a press on and pry off piece of hardware as was mentioned in the post above. Grady must have used different types of wiper arms that look similar but work differently.

catch22

Reaction score
Bokat said:
Catch 22,

After I removed the arm I inspected it to see if there was a screw or release clip or something that I might have broken when I pried it off. There were no release mechanisms that I could see. The part of the arm that fits over the splined shaft is not a cap, it is the arm. I believe it is just a press on and pry off piece of hardware as was mentioned in the post above. Grady must have used different types of wiper arms that look similar but work differently.

That's weird... I don't remember ever seeing one without a retention clip or a set screw.
Did you already replace the motor?

Bokat

Reaction score
Yes, I did. The reason this whole process started was because the "park" function of the motor failed, the wiper just kept wiping when the switch was turned off. A Grady dealer told me about disconnecting the "park" wire on the motor so I could use it until I got it repaired.

With the "park" wire disconnected I had to manually park the wiper by turning it off when it got to the side of the windshield. It got to be a pain to do that especially in rough weather. It works fine now and I got, what I think, was a great deal on the wiper motor from http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com The West Marine price was somewhere around $225, I think. Discount was $125 plus shipping.

catch22

Reaction score
Bokat said:
Yes, I did. The reason this whole process started was because the "park" function of the motor failed, the wiper just kept wiping when the switch was turned off. A Grady dealer told me about disconnecting the "park" wire on the motor so I could use it until I got it repaired.

With the "park" wire disconnected I had to manually park the wiper by turning it off when it got to the side of the windshield. It got to be a pain to do that especially in rough weather. It works fine now and I got, what I think, was a great deal on the wiper motor from http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com The West Marine price was somewhere around $225, I think. Discount was $125 plus shipping.

That's why I asked. If you hadn't replaced it yet, I was going to provide a link. Price was about the same that you paid. Glad to hear it all worked out.