Windshield Wiper removal

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey fellas I have a 1989 226 Seafarer,..... I wanted to remove The windshield wiper arm and replace it with a longer one so I can get more of the upper window. I see a set screw on the arm which I removed but how do you take the whole armature off the motor knob? Does it just pull right off or do I turn it counterclockwise and unscrew it off? Any info would help thanks

-tony

Reactions: Angler Management

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Most windshield wiper arm have a spline housing that slips over the spline on the drive motor. They get gunked up but they come off with mild force.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Most windshield wiper arm have a spline housing that slips over the spline on the drive motor. They get gunked up but they come off with mild force.

What he said. Splined wiper arm/motor shaft. Remove the set screw and maybe spray some penetrating fluid in there and let it soak if it doesn’t come off easily.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got a 2013 Seafarer that could use new arms. I see the set screw and I am wondering what experiences others have had with removing the arm. My assumption is that if it has never come off, even once the set screw is loosened/removed, the socket, which I assumed is a spline, is not going to pop right off. Aside from brute strength, how have other folks removed the arm? I guess the first shot is to see how tight it is, then penetrating oil for a few days? Any ideas are welcome. More thoughts......if the set screw comes out seems that might be a good entry for some penetrating oil

Last edited:

Ripple

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My Gulfstream has a latch on the wiper arm. Undo the latch and slide the arm outward to make longer.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got a 2013 Seafarer that could use new arms. I see the set screw and I am wondering what experiences others have had with removing the arm. My assumption is that if it has never come off, even once the set screw is loosened/removed, the socket, which I assumed is a spline, is not going to pop right off. Aside from brute strength, how have other folks removed the arm? I guess the first shot is to see how tight it is, then penetrating oil for a few days? Any ideas are welcome. More thoughts......if the set screw comes out seems that might be a good entry for some penetrating oil

Yep - remove the screw and the arm should pop off the splined motor armature. Penetrating oil should hopefully do the trick if it's stuck, but if that doesn't work you might ask your marina how they deal. I've never had to remove a stuck one, but I assume starting with heat & hammer and then moving to more destructive methods like a cutoff wheel to split the arm socket, hopefully not damaging the motor armature.

I had the opposite problem -- my splines got stripped and the wiper arm was flopping all over the place, so I had to replace the motor and the arm. In any event, be sure to put some grease on the armature when you replace so it the arm will come off next time you want to remove.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I changed mine at the end of the arms (new wiper blades, but original arms). Why not just increase the size of the wiper itself?

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I changed mine at the end of the arms (new wiper blades, but original arms). Why not just increase the size of the wiper itself?
I was thinking of that but if I do then the bottom of the wiper will be off the glass and on to the frame and boat

Finest Kind

Reaction score
After removing the set screw and spraying some penetrating oil on it, use a long screwdriver as a lever to pry it up bit by bit slowly from different angles.
Wrap the tip of the screwdriver with a cloth so it doesn't dig in and gouge your boat, and position it so the shaft of the screwdriver sits under the edge of the wiper arm housing.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After removing the set screw and spraying some penetrating oil on it, use a long screwdriver as a lever to pry it up bit by bit slowly from different angles.
Wrap the tip of the screwdriver with a cloth so it doesn't dig in and gouge your boat, and position it so the shaft of the screwdriver sits under the edge of the wiper arm housing.
My boy is wicked smart! I'll try that

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My boat did not come with working wiper. When I installed the new arm I could not figure out how to get it to function properly. If anyone could tell me or show me a pic of a properly set wiper arm I would be grateful.the adjustable length arm seems to be my tripping point. For some reason I can no longer upload pics from my phone, I would like to show the action of wiper arm so perhaps someone familiar with it could advise me on correct placement.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can dig through my receipts and get exact info but off the top of my head, I may have gotten it from Great Lakes Skipper website. I do not recall model or manufacturer. finding the receipt will give me something to do this morning