Windshield Wiper Wiring Problem

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions regarding the following problem:

When I turn my wipers on, only the portside wiper moves. I tried replacing the fuse which did not help, in fact after I replaced the fuse I couldn't shut the portside wiper off with the switch. The only way I could get it to stop was by turing the power off at the battery. When i turn the power back on at the battery, the portside wiper started up and continued to move even though the switch at the helm was off. After turning the power on and off at the battery a few times, the wiper eventually stopped. Are there separate fuses for the port and starboard side wipers?

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
The windshield wipers are a strange animal as far as the wiring goes. The motors are wired hot all of the time. There is a 3rd wire that controls the start and stop/park functions. The motor that runs all of the time must be replaced or do what I did. I disconected the start wire and moved the hot wire from the switch to the removed wire position. Then make sure to turn the wiper off when it gets to the park position. The second wiper motor may be a motor or wiring issue.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Yep... I took the easy (and cheap) fix as Marty stated and disconnected the "park" feature on my wiper motors... the two motors went bad about 6 months apart... worst part when the park feature failed on the last one, it started the wiper motor and it ran until it killed the battery!