Windshield Wipers Hitting New Enclosure 272 Sailfish

fellinger

Reaction score
I just had a new enclosure made and installed by Gioia Sails in Lakewood, NJ and I am beyond happy. It is very well made and fits amazing. I only have one problem. Since the install the wipers of my 272 Sailfish hit and bind on the material along the windshield edge. It makes me wonder what size wiper blades are supposed to be on the boat to begin with as they were likely hitting the frame before too.

Has anyone had this problem? Do you know what size blades should be on the 272?

Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is the enclosure just a tad too long and extends slightly past the windshield frame? Meaning, the blade just misses the frame? I'd say that regardless of what is "supposed" to be there, it sounds as though the easiest course of corrective action is to get a smaller blade? Unless there's something on the existing blade that can be ground/snipped off or asking Gioia to trim the canvas edge.

fellinger

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Is the enclosure just a tad too long and extends slightly past the windshield frame? Meaning, the blade just misses the frame? I'd say that regardless of what is "supposed" to be there, it sounds as though the easiest course of corrective action is to get a smaller blade? Unless there's something on the existing blade that can be ground/snipped off or asking Gioia to trim the canvas edge.

Do you know what size blade is supposed to be there? I think it is actually hitting the frame. I never made notice of it because it wasn't getting bound up on anything.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know (maybe in the manual?), but if it was me I would just measure the existing and take note to how much more clearance I needed to miss everything. If you need 1/2" of clearance, get a wiper blade that is 1" shorter. 1" of clearance = 2" shorter, etc.

I've heard lot's of good things about Gioia - they've been around for a long time. Probably not the cheapest, but then you pay for what you get. And, in the long run, quality is what we usually remember, not cost.

Bokat

Reaction score
I don't know if the 272 wipers are the same as my 230 Gulfstream but I can extend and retract the arms on my wipers. In other words you can make the wiper arms longer or shorter by pushing them in or pulling them out. I just ordered a set of wiper arms and blades for a 2006 282 I just bought that didn't have any arms or blades at all. I'll let you know if the new arms on this boat will extend or retract when I get them. You might try pushing the arms in to shorten them slightly if you can get to your boat before my parts come in.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good thought! My Sundancer had something similar to what Bokat is saying. On my arm, the adjustment was on the underside of the arm. I had to lift a small, silver lever and that allowed the two parts of the arms to slide. Pushed the lever back down and that locked it again. Not sure if that is the same as what you guys have, though.

fellinger

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have the extendable arms. I will check out blade sizes vs extendable arm.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fellinger said:
Mine doesn't have the extendable arms. I will check out blade sizes vs extendable arm.

you may need to visually check that again. wipers aren't custom to every single boat. it might not be that obvious as to how the arm slides. both my boats had/have it. good luck, ron

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
fellinger said:

You know what you have better than me, but just in case... it's usually not "obvious" that it's an extendable arm by looking at the topside of the arm. Lift it up and double check underneath.

fellinger

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll double check for sure. Had them on a previous boat and they were pretty obvious. It would be much easier if they were adjustable.

Bokat

Reaction score
I didn't realize my wiper arms would move until I was pulling on one for another reason. It pulled out so I tried pushing it back in and it worked. I also had a custom enclosure made for my boat and had to slide the arms in a little because the blade hit the canvas that ran across the top of the windshield. It was not obvious at all that the arms would adjust. I found out by accident. The new wipers that I just ordered for the 06 282 can be adjusted but it is obvious because there are screws that have to be loosened to slide the arms in or out. You may want to order the new ones that adjust. Good luck with it.

fellinger

Reaction score
Right you guys were! They are adjustable. I was at the boat today getting ready to haul her out and checked into it.

Thanks!