Windshield Wipers replacement

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boat is a 2013 226 Seafareer with what I believe are original wiper arms. The wipers themselves are what I believe are 7mm bayonet type. I have had the boat a couple of years now and its time to replace the blades at least. But also, how do the arms come off the shafts? I believe they have some nicely corroded set screws, at least thats what it looks like. Also, are the shafts more or less standard, splined 5/8" ? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I would like to change out the arms to something other than bayonet.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the arms are OK, just replace the blade assembly and go boating.

Anco 52-16 or equivalent is what you will need. It's considered a "truck blade".

seasick

Reaction score
If there are set screws, you need to loosen them. Pulling the arms can be tricky or difficult. You need to apply somewhat even pressure under the bottom edge of the arm socket. If you are definitely going to replace the arms and are a risk taker, you can use a channel lock pliers on the socket vertically and use it to wiggle the socket as you apply lifting force under the socket lip. A smallish pry bar with something to protect the fiberglass (hard rubber or a slim piece of wood) works well the get the socket off. Leave the wiper blade on so that the arm doesn't scratch your windshield.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The ANCO blade looks like a good replacement but my wipers are a 7 mm bayonet type. I don't know if that was a previous owner change? Does that ANCO 52-16 blade fit onto a (simple) bayonet type attachment somehow with the small bracket and screw/nut? Does that blade come with an adapter for a bayonet? The notion of changing out the arm was because I didn't see any sort of heavy duty type blades that fit a 7mm bayonet. I would not prefer to not change out the arm but the bayonet type connector seems odd for this application. I am now thinking I might be able to make a sort of U channel bracket that would work with the bayonet and the shown screw/nut? If I do end up removing the arm, is the shaft splined? I measured it and it appears to be a more or less standard 5/8"

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure if the bayonets' are correct. Are they stainless steel?
List time I ordered ANCO 52s they had mounts for the screw only, no hook adapter.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't know what came as OEM but the arms are 7mm bayonet style and must be SS....no corrosion. They are sort of sandwiched into a rod but appears to be riveted onto the rod which in turn is adjustable into the lower portion of the arm that attaches to the motor stub. Not at the boat for a few days and a picture would be worth a lot of words. I might just buy some auto 7mm blades until I can figure out how to get something a bit more durable like the mentioned ANCO blades onto an appropriate mount. The arm does appear to have well corroded set screw on the base.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last time I bought one, the adapter was in the package, along with the screw and a nut.