Winky Blinky

fishinAK1

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I’m looking to buy or rent a Yamaha Winky Blinky diagntics light time use on my 2005 ox66 200hp.
anyone have one they no longer use?

I’m also curious if folks have had much luck with these correctly diagnosing their problems.

seasick

Reaction score
They are out there. Sim's has them (on back order?)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’m looking to buy or rent a Yamaha Winky Blinky diagntics light time use on my 2005 ox66 200hp.
anyone have one they no longer use?

I’m also curious if folks have had much luck with these correctly diagnosing their problems.
I know what you're trying to say, but... proofread much? :)

I second Seasick - get it from SIM (maybe ebay for used ones?). Andy and his wife are very nice to deal with. One thing to note about the OX66... it does not STORE codes - you must have the Winky Blinky hooked up while running the engine and see the code live.

• Haha
Reactions: GWL139

seasick

Reaction score
I know what you're trying to say, but... proofread much? :)

I second Seasick - get it from SIM (maybe ebay for used ones?). Andy and his wife are very nice to deal with. One thing to note about the OX66... it does not STORE codes - you must have the Winky Blinky hooked up while running the engine and see the code live.
The ecu doesn't store codes, the light displays current alarm codes. I think but am not sure that some codes will display without the motor running. If not, how would it help diagnose a motor that you can't start. Then again, I never personally used one.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The ecu doesn't store codes, the light displays current alarm codes. I think but am not sure that some codes will display without the motor running. If not, how would it help diagnose a motor that you can't start. Then again, I never personally used one.
Ah, but... if the engine is turning over, then the ECM is getting power - so I guess technically, that would still be "live". That said, I'm by no means a Winky expert!

fishinAK1

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
You’ve never used one Seasick? Seems like a lot of mixed reviews/opinions out there.
Sure hate to waste money on this thing.
Hopefully, I can find one to rent/borrow.

seasick

Reaction score
I never wanted to spend the money to find out I had no codes.
personally, I am not sure that you will see codes. Maybe, maybe not. I know that if you have fuel delivery issues, you won't see codes. Diagnostics are pretty primitive on the SX motors
I have suggested tests that may help diagnose your problems, but not all of them got done and therefore you may not eliminating potential issues or finding the problems.
Do the portable tank test, no other tests, no parts replacement and report back. If you really want to eliminate two possible areas, open that VST again and do the look at your fingers through the hole in the filter. While the VST is apart, get that pressure regulator open to inspect it's screen.