winshield wiper removal

Easy Runnin

Reaction score
I have a 94 Dolphin and the wiper blade dose not press firmly against the windshild. I'm assuming its the rusted spring on the lower part of the arm that is causing the problem, but I can't figure out how to get to it.

How do I get the arm off?

seabob4

Reaction score
The wiper slides over the arm over 2 dimples. Spray the arm/wiper joint with PB Blaster, let soak, then take a small flat screwdriver, insert under the wiper and pry up while at the same time pulling away from the motor shaft. Seeing as it's 16 years old, it may take some doing... :(

Easy Runnin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'l try it next weekend. If that doesn't work, what do you suggest for plan B. Do you think I could use a dremmel and cut it off without damaging the motor shaft?

There is also a nut on the shaft below the arm that looks pretty corroded. To the point where I don't think you could turn a wrench on it. Should I just leave that alone?

seabob4

Reaction score
Easy Runnin said:
Thanks for the reply. I'l try it next weekend. If that doesn't work, what do you suggest for plan B. Do you think I could use a dremmel and cut it off without damaging the motor shaft?

There is also a nut on the shaft below the arm that looks pretty corroded. To the point where I don't think you could turn a wrench on it. Should I just leave that alone?

The nut is what holds the wiper motor on the windshield. Are you trying to get the entire wiper arm off, or just the blade? The first procedure I gave you was for removing the blade. To remove the arm, there is a set screw at the base of the arm where it slides onto the shaft. Loosen that, then soak the HELL out of the shaft/arm joint with PB blaster for several days, as that arm is going to need some serious coaxing to get it to break free from the shaft splines after 16 years... :lol:

Bob C

BTW, you might want to spray some blaster on that nut on the motor shaft, just in case it needs to come out down the road... 8)

seabob4

Reaction score
Easy Runnin said:
I'm trying to get the entire arm off. I'm milews away from the boat but I couldn't find anything that resembled a set screw when I was ther this weekend

The arm looks just like the one in this post

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=wiper

Lift up the plastic piece at the end of the arm covering the shaft, that's where the set screw lives...

little jenny

Reaction score
if you were un able to locate the screw to remove the wiper you may have a arm that does not have a retaining screw. i removed my wiper arm today by looking under the base of the blade w off thr motor arm mount pry it my need to gentlyere it mounts to the motor arm and used a screwdriver to depress a little metal clip that held the arm in place and pulled the arm right off if its sticking you may need to gently pry it off

exudedude

Reaction score
My boat had the original ones on it, the arms were gone. I took a dremel to it and then split them open.

Not meaning to hijack, but does anyone know the rplacement needed for a 1990 Gulfstream?